Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a Diesel w/ a gas engine in California!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyman562, Jan 30, 2005.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

I am looking at buying a truck that is registered as a diesel but has a 454 engine in it. Is it worth the risk? How could the State of Kalifornia find out about this? I belive is says if you have a diesel or gas engine on the registration, but i'm not sure. The price is right but I don't want to get majorly busted. What do you guy's think?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Since there are no inspections in Cali you shouldn't have a problem. You won't have to worry about smog, but if you do get caught I'm sure there would be a fine and probably make you change it back to stock. I really don't know how they could catch you though. My fear is that with so many new laws and modifications of existing laws, at some point Cali may want to start checking Deisels and then your screwed. But who knows if and when that would ever happen.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I remember when they used to have random smog checks here in Sac, they had the machines rigged up right in the middle of the street. I havent seen that for a long time, but ive seen it before.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Technically it is an illegal modified vehicle....

It violates california and federal smog laws unless the conversion was done in accordance with CARB regs....
    A smart copper would spot the diesel reg and gas sound smell or look and if he wanted to cite you he could... I looked at stuff like this all the time...
    call CARB for the last word.... I found them really easy to talk to
    California Air Resources Board (800) 242-4450

They do have roadside sniffers here but I havent seen one for awhile.... I do predict diesel smogs will come to pass here... even with the advent of ultra low sulfer fuel in 2010... when... who knows
    I wouldnt hesitate to buy it if I could use the the above info in my favor to make it cheap enough ...
    cam