Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying A Harmonica

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GEORGIA GABE, Nov 22, 2006.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

Any advice from any members who play harmonicas? I have been wanting one for a while and I decided that Im just going to go buy one today along with a book and teach myself how to play it
    gabe:D

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I mostly play Hohner Marine Bands, but my favorite is a Hohner Blues Harp in A...

If you're just starting out, I would say get one in C... The first harmonica I bought was a Big River, and it's alright, but it seems like the holes are more spaced than every other harmonica I've played...

I'd recommend the Marine Band for a first harmonica, it'll run you about $25-$35

There are some out there that are $50 or more for a Diatonic that I hear are pretty good, but I can't bring myself to spend that much for a basic one when the $30 one works fine... I do kinda want to try a Chromatic (the one with the button on the side)

Oh yeah, if you really get into it and you want a nice bluesy distortion sound, you should buy a Bottle O Blues mic... You can plug it in to any amp, or buy a Smokey Amp with it which sounds good also, and it has a good distortion.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Are you just going to leave us hanging? What'd you get? :confused:

4. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

Lee Oscar harp in C... its been fun so far, I think my upstairs neighbors are a little tired of it.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You might be a redneck.. :haha:

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Lee Oscars are an excellent harp That is all I mainly play. I also like good old Horner Marine Band. If you want to play you need to get at least a C, D, G, and B flat and you can play most any type of mucisc from hardcore blues to country. I have lots of harps in all notes. I play in bars with bands when i get a mind too. Most of the local bands know me and i am always welcome to sit in with them for a few sets.
    Women love a good harp player. Maby it has something to do with having a talented tounge.

You can get some learn how to play the harmonica stuff all over the internet. But the harmonica is really an insturment that is played from the heart.
    Just pick it up and start playing it. Learn how it works, how to bend notes, where the scales are, it aint that hard just play it all the time, try to play along with your favorite music.
    If you have harmonicas in the most used keys C,G,D you will be able to play along with most music and sound pretty good as long as you are in the same note or in harmony. it just takes a little practice.