Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a K5, good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gtchief, Aug 3, 2005.

1. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Hey everyone,
    I've been on this site for a while researching K5s and am finally looking to buy one. I found an '88 with auto and 350 for $700. The truck only has 64K miles and the body is in decent shape. I will need to replace pretty much the whole floor except for the passenger side before it gets too bad. The rear window is not currently working and neither is the driver side window. Interior itself isnt too bad and it will need a radio. It has two sets of wheels(steel and alloys which looked decent). Tires on the steel are poor and the tires on the alloys are decent. Motor sounds good, but I need to air up the tires to test drive it. As long as tranny and trans case are in good shape, does this seem like a good deal? Thanks everyone for your help. I look forward to joining the coloradok5 group. By the way, I'm in pennsylvania if that matters.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

all i have to say is bring someone with you to help you check it over thoroughly for leaks.. I recently spend $1000 on a suburban, and everthing on it leaks...... I jumped the gun when I bought it, and it's a P.O.S.......... don't mean to scare you, just be thorough at checking it over before you purchase.

3. gtchief

What do you suggest on checking for leaks(engine, tranny, trans case, body, something else)? I crawled underneath and know the floor needs replacing. I figure the parts will be about $350 so that wont be too bad. Anyone know how hard these repairs are and about how long they will take?

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

my tranny and transfer case are both leaking like crazy..... I think the rearend leaks a little. nothing on my truck is worth keeping.... just drive it and then get under it and look really good at the engine, tranny, t-case, and axles...... you might want to check the fluid level in the transfer case (undo the fill plug and dip your finger over in it (it should be level with the hole, or close to it. check the dipstick for the tranny and motor. my truck is 10 years older than yours so you may be a little less likely to be getting junk.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Replacing the floor will be a *big* time investment I'd say. I've never done it but have seen a few threads and such....looks painful at best.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a rotted Pennsy truck, i'm not suprised...

obviously you've found your biggest battle, the rot... full floor jobs are a pain, but doable.. i'd take a good peak at the frame too.. body mounts are prolly hammered too.. frames like to crack at steering box.. if your gonna pay to have the floor done, i'd expect a couple g's...

check your standard mechanicals.. 64K is pretty low, should be able to tell if thats accurate. check exhaust for smoke at start up.. bad leaks like rear main, etc....

7. gtchief

The frame has already been repaired at the steering box and looks decent elsewhere, so I dont need to worry about that problem. Its been parked in grass for a while and I didnt see any dead grass underneath so thats good. How do you figure a couple G's for the floor? I plan on doing the work myself and the parts shouldnt be more than $500. anything else to look for? Does it seem like a good deal for what it is?

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, if ya paid a bodyshop you'd be looking at 2 minimum.. tons of labor involved there...

any truck for under a grand is cheap.. i'd expect it to have a few gremlins tho...

9. gtchief

Alright, thanks alot for your help. As long as the drivetrain is ok after a test drive then I'll join the K5 family.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a FI'd K5 for under $1k? assuming the engine is in good working order and the trans isn't slipping, I'd say jump on it. A FI'd v8 is the only part of a K5 you'll end up keeping anyway. ;)

j

11. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Just the way the body was described I would say that it has 165000 not 65000. Just cause th od says 65 doesn't mean that is isn't 165. The od's never went into the 100 thousand range.

12. gtchief

I thought of that too. I figured the title will clear that ? up for sure. The engine capartment looks great though. I may be exagerating on the floor. thanks

13. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

Floor repairs are not that bad. I replaced my passenger side floor a month ago. And I did it for free in one weekend :D (I had all the tools and materials)

Oh and I would say get the blazer if it shifts thru all the gears, in to 4hi and 4lo, all that good stuff. I paid a grand for mine a year ago and it had the same description as the one your looking at.

Hey if you decide that you dont like it or cant afford the gas you could always resale. After you fixed the floor for free (or close 2 it) you could easily resale it for 2000 (if it runs like you say it does)

just my .02

14. gtchief

Well I finally did it and took the plunge, for better or worse, in running and in repairing, til rust do we part. Ok, ok, so its already rusted. Anyways, I found an '89 with all working electrical, strong running engine, good tranny and trans case. I'm just not sure where to start now. I need new floors, fenders, exhaust, brakes, suspension. I'm thinking of starting with the floors and rockers, then suspension(4" lift with 35" tires), then the rest to get it inspected.

Is anyone running 35s on 15x8s? What size are the stockers; I havent looked at them much yet.

Thanks for your help everyone. I look forward to playing with the beast.

15. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

um i might start with the brakes, you never know who's parents didnt teach their kid not to run out in to the street...

and cough up the $25 it's the best money you'll spend on your truck. and you get the cool little member tag...

16. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

check here

nada.com click consumer and start telling it what u have..it will even do our 1st gens i was supprised the high retail on my '69 was over 10k

17. gtchief

I dont plan on streeting it until I get everything done, so probably 3 or 4 months, hopefully. But brakes are on my list, I did drive it home and it did stop, but I also smelled alot of brake. Cant wait to start the fun now. Just practiced putting rockers on my dad's f150 so we'll do a good job on mine. Thanks everyone