Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying a K5 need advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NTAPHSE, May 6, 2002.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE Newbie

hey im gonna be buying a K5 this week hopefully. i have $2200 to spend. can i get a decent truck for that? any advice on things i should look for? im thinking maybe i shouldnt get a lifted one, because that increases the chances that someone beat the hell out of it.

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Maybe. look it over real good, especially the tranny. I paid $2300 for my 86 and the 700r4 went out a few weeks later. Doh! test drove in the snow and couldn't tell it slipped in reverse, then it went out totally after I bought it. at least it had an all new GM front clip. Guy said he did it becasue the old one was rusted. RIGHT! later I realized the frame was all tweaked and must have been in a bad accident. OH also, the 350 it had. NOPE it was a 305. but there is no way to tell that by looking at it. so basically look it over REAL good, even check vin # on the motor if you think it nessecary. Most GM dealers can tell you what motor you have if you call and give them the #

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

also, if you can find a truck that is built up, I would cinsider it. You will save money in the long run.

4. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE Newbie

i found an 84 K5 with a 6.2 diesel, 4" lift, and 160k miles that i can afford. i called the guy and he said its really slow though. should i stay away from diesels?

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I gave $1500.00 for my 76 K/5 Blazer. I got lucky and found an 1 owner Blazer with only 83,000 miles on it at the time of purchase. So far I can see I need to replace the leaf springs, and swaybar bushings. I had to replace a donut gasket. I plan on a 6" suspension lift with a 1" body lift and 35" tires as soon as I can aford it.

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Where do you live? Fill out your profile to give us a clue.

If you live in the rust belt like me where it snows and they use road salt, Michigan for me/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif, chances are it's gonna have bad rust. The newest K5 is 11 model years old now./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

-Check the floor under the front seats, this area is very rust prone. Here in Michigan about the only way to find one without rust there is to get one that was brought to Michigan from another state where rust isn't as big an issue.
    -Also check the floor right in front of the tail gate, the very rear of the truck. Over top of the gas tank. They like to rust out there.
    -Also look at the edge of the tail gate where the rubber around the window ledge is. Another famous rusting area.

Other than these, look for rust in the wheel wells, under the entire body, basically everywhere. Replacement panels are readily available and not that expensive, but why buy the problem if you can avoid it?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Take it for a spin with the radio off. Listen for things. With the engine running, truck stopped, foot firmly on the brakes, shift through all the gears slowly, and listen for odd clunks and other noises. Helps you find out about driveline slop and bad U joints along with tranny problems. That's if it's an automatic though. Take off the oil cap and look at the bottom of it. If you see something that looks like mayonaise or............ummmmmmmm...............male goo/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.........it's got a leaky head gasket or worse. Might not be a good idea to get it then./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Diesels are not bad, they aren't fast though. Decent amount of power, but will not win any sort of acceleration contests./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif However, they do touch 20mpg for daily driving. Save up $1800 for a Banks Turbo charger, put it on yourself, and you have the hp of a fuel injected 350, torque of a big block, and gas mileage of a V6./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE Newbie

cool thanks for all the ideas. i am in phoenix, so rust is not too big of an issue,. but ill still check for it obviously.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you get a diesel with overdrive, just plan ahead for transmission problems. They tend to go between 80 and 100,000 miles, even with the gas engine and the diesel has more torque. But the fuel savings will more than pay for a rebuild now and then.

Modified trucks sometimes have been beat, but sometimes have also been better maintained because the owner actually cared about the vehicle and knew how to take care of it. Plus, a truck that gets worked on a lot tends to have a lot of new parts. If you plan to do any modifications later, it is far cheaper to buy a truck with some (or all) of it already done than it is to buy all of the parts yourself, not to mention all of the work.

For your budget, I would look for a vehicle with the best body and paint that I could find and just plan on having to fix a few mechanical details. Even a whole engine or tranny can be had for $500, but new body panels and a paint job is as much as you have to spend on a whole vehicle. Miles are almost irrelevant for a 20-year old vehicle. You can always spend a little bit here and there replacing seals, bearings, etc.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you get a diesel with overdrive, just plan ahead for transmission problems. They tend to go between 80 and 100,000 miles, even with the gas engine and the diesel has more torque. But the fuel savings will more than pay for a rebuild now and then.

Modified trucks sometimes have been beat, but sometimes have also been better maintained because the owner actually cared about the vehicle and knew how to take care of it. Plus, a truck that gets worked on a lot tends to have a lot of new parts. If you plan to do any modifications later, it is far cheaper to buy a truck with some (or all) of it already done than it is to buy all of the parts yourself, not to mention all of the work.

For your budget, I would look for a vehicle with the best body and paint that I could find and just plan on having to fix a few mechanical details. Even a whole engine or tranny can be had for $500, but new body panels and a paint job is as much as you have to spend on a whole vehicle. Miles are almost irrelevant for a 20-year old vehicle. You can always spend a little bit here and there replacing seals, bearings, etc.

11. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I paid $800 for mine. I bought it from a retired guy who likes to build cars (antiques). It had 95,000 miles. He had it for 14 years and it was his daily driver, parts fetcher etc. When he got it the body had been rottd out so he replaced the rear panels and the tailgate and the front fenderwells. That was 14 years ago. Now one of the rocker panels has a small hole in it and so does the lower part of the fender. The roof was painted with a brush. The 350 runs good but blows a puff of smoke when started. Drivetrain is all stock and OK. I replaced the battery, starter, alternator and heater core. The trans leaked when I bought it. It is my daily driver and it is a pig on gas. It has 31 inch tires on rusty chrome wheels. For $800 I think it was a good deal. Actually I absolutely love this truck. The reason for the story is for you to have something to compare to. If your truck costs much more but has similar issues I'd definitely get the price down so as to leave some cash for fixing when its yours.

12. cdh

cdh Registered Member

If you buy an Arizona truck plan on spending some money on new rubber. The trucks don't rust but the rubber rots.
    I have an 89 that is an original Arizona truck with zero rust and lots of bad rubber.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just dont get one wiht a bad floor and tailpan!! oh my god..what a mess mine is..i have to redo al lthat..plus the front floor bourds..and one rocker. aka AVIOD RUST AHAHA
    Bryan-later

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just dont get one wiht a bad floor and tailpan!! oh my god..what a mess mine is..i have to redo al lthat..plus the front floor bourds..and one rocker. aka AVIOD RUST AHAHA
    Bryan-later