Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a mid 80s K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TransAmLT1, Nov 21, 2001.

1. TransAmLT1

TransAmLT1 Registered Member

Its around an 86-87, the guy wants a grand for it. Its pretty staright with 140,000. Rebuilt Tranny, Its a 4X4. Has a 305 in it. My main questiosn are:

How well do these things stop?

What kind of gas mileage will i get?

1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    5.7L 350 4L60 3.23
    Best Time 13.97@98.59mph

2. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I would hate to have a car with a bigger engine than my truck!!
    [​IMG]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't!! 454 for truck, 510 for car!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

If the brakes are in good working order it will stop not as fast as your t/a but it is about normal on a "stock" truck. If you start adding bigger tires the braking effort goes up. As for gas milage I have a warmed over 350 in my 86 and I get mid teens but then I also have 3.73 gears and 33's
    Scott

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

it depends on what your comparing your stopping power to.. If you comparing it to a t/a, your crazy, if you comparing it to what it is, a very heavy, wide, tall, BEAUTIFUL hunk of metal, then it stops just as well as anything else built the same time. It doesnt compare to how a new truck stops.

About the 305- its going to be VERY tired with 140k on it, just be prepared for that. Plan on upgrading your engine. Especially if you drive a t/a everyday...

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If it as a 305 in it. It isn't a 87. 86 was the last year for 305.. Also they started TBI's in 87...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

7. TransAmLT1

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes. $1000.00 is a good deal.. I paid $1700.00 for my 86 with a blown motor. But the 700R4 was rebuilt just before he blew the motor...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

$1K is a good deal. If the truck has no rust (and I doubt it does being in Houston) and is in overall good condition. It also depends on what you want to do with it. But, the running gear alone is worth that. I am dropping a basic 350 into my '85 with a 305 in January well built for about $2500. Keep that in mind. It will be an upgrade you will do in the near future.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

10. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Gas mileage, hah,hah,ho,tee,hee,hee. Sorry about that. I'd scoop it for a grand. Sounds like a good truck to start a new project. Just remember you don't drive a K5 for its' gas mileage.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My firebird stops about as quick as my Jimmy and burb. It has drums all the way around and the rears are deadjusted for burnouts. That and front runners dont help. My bird actually locks the front tires up not the rear. And I use to drive the k5 for milage befor the rollover. 5 mpg for the bird, 13 for the k5. I would say go for it. You cant beat it for a grand. Most here in AZ start at 3,000 and they are in pretty bad shape.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

BTW nice to see another drag racer on the board. My best time is 11.151 at 121.99 mph

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

13. TransAmLT1

Thanks guys, I need some thing big to drive. Driving a fast car is fun but not every day. I want some thing that can be driven in the rain. I looked at it today and runs real nice. Just has some rust on the tail gate. Other than that I could see maybe putting about another $4-5K and making a really nice truck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://transam672.tripod.com>My 93 TA</a>

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

$1000 is a steal. That's better than paying something like $4000 for a Blazer that runs and has a 305 motor.
    At least for $1000, you have an excellent base truck to build and start with. And without shelling out the big bucks, too. From $1000, you can build that truck to pass the $4000 stock trucks!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

15. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Man, I'd kill for a pretty nice 1000 dollar K5. Here in Michigan if you want a nice one your looking towards at least 5000 bucks! We salt our roads and have fairly long winters so they get tore up really bad really fast. I looked at a 4800 dollar 1990 K5 the other day and its rockers were already gone! If anyone knows of a nice tight bodied southern truck I can pick up really cheap I may be interested. It dosen't even have to be 100% complete. Only stipulation- CLEAN body.

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I guess some of us Texas boys (and our other southern neighbors) could do some spottin', and then just caravan a load of K5 bodies up north.....saw one in a field just Friday, no front clip or motor, but the rest of it was clean as a Safeway chicken...

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..