Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a new CB.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 1-tonmudder, Apr 26, 2007.

1. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to buy a new radio to replace the cheapo Uniden I am using now.What would be a good middle of the road(around $100)replacement.Also is it possible to buy bulk ant cable and put the ends on yourself.Reason being I am going to mount it overhead and would like to run the cable down thru the tubes of my rollcage,instead of zip tieing it to the cage.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Anything basically works if its name brand . If I was a CB only guy , I'd have to pick a really OLD Cobra 148 with the microphone in the side . But nowadays any radio on CB is about as good as any other when stock .

And yes , you can buy bulk cable and add the connectors . Don't worry about length too much , that is CB radio myth stuff , the length . Just use what length you need and check your SWR :thumb:

3. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

The Cobra 29 is a good radio. It can be even better if tuned up by a knowledgable tech. The Pilot truck stops have had the new Cobra 29 Chrome model on sale for about $95. Black face w/chrome case & mike, looks pretty sweet. Nothing wrong with a Uniden either, got a PC68XL in my DD and it works great.