Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a new Engine. Any tips !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by frank8808, Nov 1, 2002.

1. frank8808

frank8808 Registered Member

I have a 91 Blazer Silverado 4X4 With 33's and a 2 1/2" suspension lift with 456 gears . I am going to replace the Engine and I am leaning towards buying a GM creat motor. I tow a trailer 22' when we go to the dessert and need more power. Help!! I don't want to buy a new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

IMLAO you got right, stick with a GM creat motor. they cost a lil more but you get what you pay for.
    befor i knew better i had a loacal shop build and install a new motor for me and i still regret it 3 years later.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you have a local engine builder ??? Those guys can usely beat the big places prices and offer just as good of a warrentie, if not better. Also lots of local engine builders will build you a 383 stroker to your specks, built more for your app., the big chain places all build a basic engine. I'd go for one built for more low end torque, and around 9 to 1 compression. With the custom built engine you can get a cam more for low end torque also, without haveing to do a cam swap later costing you more money and possibley voiding your warrentie. Just something to think about.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Didn't they warrentie thier work ????

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

they shut down two weeks after they gave me back my rig. and 7 months later the harmonic balancer broke off distroying the crank /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifand my 18 month warr. wasn't worth a crap.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sucks, sorry to hear about it. I've delt with local engine places and have had good luck. Had a 454 in a 77 Monte Carlo that was a very good deal for me at the time. Engine was still running strong 4 years later when I sold the car, and I beat the $hit out of that car almost daily. (I was in my early 20's when I had it.)

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want more power.You might check out either of these 2 crates desighed for your 91 with TBI
    sdpc2000.com TBI 350 HO

sdpc2000 TBI 350 Vortec HO
    Both of these engines should work with the stock chip in the computer. But I dont think you willl get the claimed HP with the stock TBI and chip.

I would suguest modifing your TBI also.
    These guys can help:
    turbocity.com
    I use a lot of their stuff and it works pretty much as claimed.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why not build your own?
    Get a 4-block main, some vortec heads, any dual plane intake and you've got a good engine. 350 rebuild kits cost as little as $155 (new pistons, rings, all bearings, cam, plugs, gaskets, lifters, chain, etc.) Buy a few books, buy a few tools, and just do it.
    -- Mike

9. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I went and got a gm crate engine and put it in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Ill tell you this its the best thing I had done after all the looking in to a rebuild of another block (I had a 6cyl before)I did change the cam however.all I can say is its awsome.I spent 1400 for everything,had to get new motor mounts and a balancer too. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Call me at work monday. I can get you fixed up one way or another...
    Jim

11. frank8808

frank8808 Registered Member

Jim
    Where do work? I see your are in El cajon I'm in Santee.
    Thanks,
    Frank