Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a new notebook....what to buy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cavalry, May 21, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I am buying another notebook what does everyone suggest. I currently have a compaq 1200 series that only lasted me 2 1/2 years with a ton of compaq common problems in the last year. So pretty much I am not buying another compaq...ever. I am looking at lower level computers as I only would like to spend at max $1200. I am only considering new so please dont offer to sell me your year old one. Its primarly use will be internet. I have no need for a DVD player but a internal CDRW might be nice

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Check with Dell... or Gateway... but Dell has awesome customer service....

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just got a gateway 9550 solo...its a higher end notebook but they do have some more in your price range..they also have great customer service...havent had a issue with them yet and i have had my laptop since feb. i looked at dells but the prices for the same thing that gateway has was a few hundred more...so thats why i went with gateway...the specs on mine are 1.06mhz 512 ram, 40gig hard drive, DVD CD-R CD-rw, 15inch screen, 3.5 in floppy drive, 56k modem (that i never use because of DSL)..and a few other little things that i cant think of...if i remember right i think i paid right around the 1600 area before tax

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like IBM !!!!!! If it's not an IBM, it'll be a Mead !!!!!

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Buying a new notebook can be a long and hard process, as there are many makes and models out there, as well as astheticaly pleasing designs, and nifty gizmos and gadgets... there's also a question of compatibility with others, and data protection, as well as the toughness of the casing on it. if you drop your notebook, are your files going to spew out everywhere, and get blown away by the wind? do you want a standard 2 inch, or go for the larger 3 or 4 inch notebook? compatibility is only an issue if you get the kind that has more or less then the standard 3 ring setup, or a compact notebook. there are also several variations on size including the larger legal size, and the smaller note card size. the exterior design, while generaly only important to children, can bear an importantce factor to you as an adult too.. do you get the trapper-keeper mega ++ with a built in calculator, and a picture of shaq destroying a basketball hoop? or do you go for a more conservative plain black notebook from office max. generaly, if I have a problem with a notebook, I just throw it out, and get a new one... they only cost $2 for a standard 3 ring binder....

-Rich

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Buy the larger 120 page one. With the perforated edges and make sure you get college rule.

Ken H.

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Ddragggon gives some good advice. While I have seen notebooks larger then the 3 inches, i woulnd't recommend going with them unless you need a large amount of data storage. They are not near as portable as the 3" and under size notebooks. I would also go with a plain design. While the fancy ones might look nice, think of the trouble in repairing it if it gets scratched. The ones with the built in calculators are nice, but insurance rates are much higher on those, and you would be kicking yourself if you happen to drop it and break the calculator. If you have sensitive data, I recommend getting a locking type notebook. Combination locks or key type locks will do just fine. The best lock would be the retina scanning lock, but prices for those start a $2,000 on eBay. Pre-owned notebooks can often be had at decent prices, but with wear and tear, it is usually better to just go new. Good luck with your notebook search!

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif..you guys are on the total wrong track here...i wish i would have jumped on it earlier /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd recommend a Sony Vaio. I have a PCG-GR370, not really a business model, but really good. 1.13Ghz/256Mb/30Gb/cd-rw/DVD, modem, 10/100 onboard nic, massive display (I dunno the actual size though). The display is really cool, it's viewable at almost any angle, not like older machines that get funky if you're at an angle.
    If you do end up going with a 3-ring though, I have some old filler I can give you.