Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a new starter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 22, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

after talking with several people, no one really seems to think that shimming the starter will solve the occasional slipping problem it has been giving me. I am considering buying a new starter, but don't know which one to get. How do I know how many teeth and cone style I need??? (the one that is on it now could easily be the wrong one) What's a good brand of starter to buy?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

What motor and tranny do you have?

Get a stock replacement for your application....that should be right.

3. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

i got a summit mini starter and so far it is Nice. fits 153 and 162 tooth flywheels, very happy so far.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I had problems with aftermarket starters (4 in 2 months) no matter how they were shimmed. Bought an AC Delco and haven't had any problems since.

5. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I've got the oem starter out of my '79. Works great, but I got a crate motor and the starter wouldn't work with the new engine. PM me if you're interested.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

wytt,
    can't PM yet, wish I could :( . I don't have $25 to spare for a real membership yet. where are you located? I bet shipping would cost an arm and a leg for that big ol' thing. my email is speedy_buck@hotmail.com
    thanks,
    James

7. big_o_blazer

big_o_blazer Registered Member

JEGS all the way

JEGs the only way to go, i have a 9.5-1 compression on my 383 and it starts it like nothin i went through 3 OEM replacements in like a week before i broke down and bought the JEGs one. just find out your teeth count on your flywheel (if its factory) from any auto store and get one that matches it

75 K-5 383ci 425hp, getting 12" lift and 42"s D60 and 14bolt and np205 as we speak

8. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure the starter is what you need? I'll bet you have damaged teeth on your flywheel or flexplate. Even if a different starter holds for a while, it might not last long.

9. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one of my buddies had the same problem he replaced the starter countless time, he even replaced the fly wheel. when we layed under the truck to watch it turn which was really loud btw when it slipped we could see the flywheel move back in foward. ended up being the bearings in the motor. and replaced the motor and bam problem solved. i dunno what the oil pressure was cuz he just bought it for 1500 and that was the problem it kept eating starters. and i never heard the old engine run.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ouch!!! That's some SERIOUS crankshaft endplay! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

11. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

he was able to drive it home but he guy told him engine wasnt goin to last long.

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

the mini start Jegs carrys is good...(bought the same one from a local speed shop) went though 2 of them also went though 3 or 4 cheapo starters back when I was DDin my truck but that was due to longtubes