Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying A New Truck ?? 1995 GMC Yukon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Aug 13, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Ok here is the deal my wife and I have been looking to buy her a new truck.. We have been looking at Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans between 1996-1998.. But today we came across a 1995 GMC Yukon with 29,000 miles (yes I said 29,000 original miles :D ) It has been garage kept and in excellent condition inside and out.. So here is my questions..

Who here has/does owns a Yukon and what are your experiences with them ?

What major differences between the GMC Yukon and the Chevy Tahoe other then the grill, emblems and the missing bow tie on the steering wheel :( ?

Any and all info and experiences are appreciated..

I guess it's just me but I would rather have a Chevy then a GMC even though they are basically the same :confused: .. I have noticed that Chevy's are priced higher then the GMC's new and used in my area.. I have and still own many Chevy's but I have never owned a GMC..

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

No difference other than cosmetic between the 2 brands...

Now you realize the 95 isnt going to be a Vortec truck but rather a TBI? I held out for a Vortec when I was looking for an IFS rig but thats just personal preference. It will have less power and fuel mileage prob will be less. But heck if its really only 29k miles then Id snatch that baby up. Atleast you wont have to deal with leaky intake gaskets and dead fuel pump like I will eventually... :p:

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

None. They're even built in the same factory, on the same assembly line. Only a single letter in the VIN determines if it's a Chevy or a GMC. :doah:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've noticed a lot of the GMC's come with a nice size factory transmission cooler. I've never seen one on a Chevy. Not that they don't exist, they must just not be as common. I actually prefer newer GMC's over Chevys.

If it's a good deal I would buy it. The 96-98 motors as stated above will have more power than the '95. For a DD it would be fine though.

:D

5. mudslinger99

Yeah it has a factory cooler right in front of the grill :D ..

What is the H.P. and torque difference between the the 95 and 96 5.7 motors ?

After going back and forth with the numbers with the salesman I have got it down to $8900 bucks.. The closest truck we have been able to find has been almost $10,000 or more with over a 100,000 miles on it... So with the low miles and like new condition of the whole truck I think it's a pretty good deal..

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

95 was the same TBI engine from 87 and up. OBD1 diagnostics, around 210 HP. 96 was vortec MPFI with OBD2 diagnostics. Has two O2 sensors and 260 hp.
    BTW, 95 was the first year for the four door Yukon, and some lift kits require a special piece just for the 95.

7. mudslinger99

I knew there was a few H.P. difference but I thought it was more like 20 or 30.. 50 horses is a lot :yikes:

What is the torque difference ?

What is this SPECIAL piece you speak of ?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't say what the numbers are just the seat of the pants. TBIs suck IMO. I've owned 2 IFS bodystyle rigs. One was a 1995 with a TBI 350 and 4.10 gears, the other is my present 1997 Vortec 350 rig with 3.73s. The Vortec rig is WAY more powerful all around, and a lot faster. I'd say if they drag raced the 1995 would run something like a 20 and the 97 would run a high 16 low 17. Its amazing to me. I'll never buy a TBI rig of that bodystyle unless I intend to change the engine for something bigger and better.

Also, Vortec rigs commonly get 17mpg, where as I've never had a TBI rig do better then 12(1989 suburban and 1995 K2500).

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

my tbi does about 15 mpg... but the power thing isnt great.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If I remember correctly, the '95 TBI is 300 ft lbs and the '96-'98 is 355 ft lbs.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Crossmember, if I remember correctly

12. mudslinger99

So you lose about 50 on both ends, that sure does put a knot in my stomach :eek1: ..

I tried to tell her we would try to find another one in the 96-98 range to get the extra power but she is not going for it :doah: .. We have looked for a right good while trying to find one, and this one is the lowest milage in the best condition we have found.. Everything else has over 100,000 miles on it and a lot more wear and tear so she wants this one.. It's going to be her DD so I guess she has to drive it more then me so I will have to get it..

She says she is tired of riding in her Blazer with 220,000 miles on it and not knowing what will break next :haha: So she likes the idea of this one only having 29,000 miles on it.. And if it will last as long as our other Chevy's with over 200,000 miles on it then she will be happy.. I told her my pickup with 230,000 miles is just getting broke in :D

She is willing to sacrifice the power for reliability, WOMEN :haha:

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I'd say do it then. A woman driver could probably get some good mileage and reliability from it, and power likely isn't an issue to her. Like I said, for me, (or even you it sounds) TBI just isn't the way to go. I really want to start driving my 1997 pickup again, the Saturn is getting old...

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 Sub gets the worst mileage on the planet if it getting 10, I would be suprised. So if the Vortec gets more thats my vote.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My '95 C1500 has a TBI 4.3 and it gets me around ok with 188,000+ miles on it. I think the 5.7 TBI should be plenty.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've got a '95 GMC Yukon GT. I've had it for about a year, but it was undrivable untill a few weeks ago so I can't give you any honest milage #s. Its's got a little over 150k mi so the durability is there. When I got it the 10B rear was destroyed and the front was smashed. I know the P/O pulled a trailer with it, so its got at least a little power, which might have caused the rearend failure. The A/C in mine is not working, which may, or may not be crash related. Everything else I've replace (besides the front shetmetal and rear axel, that is) so far has been regular maint items. Unless you plan on towing with it regularly, I'd jump on it.

17. mudslinger99

Yukon GT ? :confused: Do you have pics of it ? I have never heard of that model.. I thought that there was just the SLE and SLT..

It probably won't see much towing at all even though it has the factory towing package (unless the wife is not looking :haha: ).. I have 2 other pickups and a 3/4 ton work van for that :D

18. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

I work for a dealership, those TBI 350s last forever!!! We had old 1995 parts trucks that went 350K!!! The one with least miles had 275K, and it still ran like a champ when we got rid of it!!!! I say go for the 95!! ;)

19. mudslinger99

Yeah they are tough motors that's for sure.. My buddy has one with almost 400,000 and it is still going..

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its just a sticker package on one of the higher end models. It really doesn't make any sense, when I think GT Ithink light weight & performance. This thing has power/leather seats, PDL, PW, ect, a real bloated pig. I guess blacking out the chrome and adding aluminum wheels make it a "GT".

I used to have pics of it on here, but they got lost in the last upgrade. I'm not sure if I still have them saved, but It was a cool one: Black Yukon, on a black trailer, being pulled by a black Z-71 that was SAS'ed & on 35s.