Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a new truck and driving it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got a new Crew Cab. Its in a different town though. Would it be possible to drive it back home without being registered or insured? When I go down there I will be getting the bill of sale and title stuff. Whats the rules on this? or does it have to be towed?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Legally you have to have it insured, and temp plates. Safest way is to go make the deal, get a bill os ale, go to the dmv and get temp plates...

The way I do it is once i make the deal, call my insurane co and insure it, throw a plate on it and drive it home... That way if something happens at least it looks like I was trying to be responsible...

If it was very far away I would do it the right way, if it was fairly close id do it my way...

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

alright no biggie, i was thinking about trailering it home anyways but it woulda been a lot more fun to drive it home

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not sure what the rules are there, but the last i knew, around here, you have i think it's up to 10 days to get it insured for a new purchase, still have to get a permit to drive it though...

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Hmmm... Thats weird. I would think you would need insurance over anything else, at least liability

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Most insurance policies cover newly purchased vehicles for about a week.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ditto, if you have present coverage with someone, call them and if they are good, they will cover for you. As far as liscense goes, I believe you should have 15 days or so to register it.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Round here when you make the deal sign the tag over, do not put on a plate off another vehicle, and drive it home. Your insurance will cover your for either 7 or 10 days on the new vehicle (I cant remember exactly how long), and if you get pulled for no tag, show the officer the title and bill of sale, and you should have no problems. So long as it isnt 5 months after you bought it, lol.

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

x2. This is what I did to get home after Autumn Thump. Broke the Yukon, and "bought" my buddy's trail rig for $100 so it'd be street legal for the drive home.

...till it blew the water pump 3 hours from home. :doah:

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

What I have always done is once I know that I am buying the vehicle I call the insurance company to get it covered. When the deal is done I go straight to DMV to get plates, then it is all set. No chance of anything weird happening with the law that way.