Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying a non registered truck, some questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Feb 9, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hi all. Im looking at a 72 scout for sale. Decent price however it has not been registered since 2003. What can I expect as far as fees?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

As long as it has a title I don't see why there should be any fee's. May be differant in your state, but here you only pay the extra fee's when it was your truck that you didn't register. When you are buying one there are no fees or penalties here.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

In Iowa you get the back fees from being non registered unless you can provide proof it wasn't on the road, i.e. a mechanic to sign off on non driveability or the like.

Negotiate it off the price if need be.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

In cali I bet the DMV will make you pay back fees. Have to fix the cali freeways some how!!!

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

That's how Florida is, but only if are the owner, not just purchasing the vehicle.

6. Kg6kjs

Kg6kjs Registered Member

I know in California if it has not be registered in 4 years 48 months you fill out a form stating you are a classic or historic vehicle collecter and car has not be on the road and you will only have to pay this year reg. and transfer fee. That is what I just had to do. It saved me $431. IF you can do this in California then I am sure the other states are easier. If you need more info let me know. Just tell them you collect old cars and it hasnt been on the road for 4 years. You will be golden. You dont need proof you just need to sign a form stating that it is correct. I just finished this whole process 1 1/2 months ago. Has to be a clasic car 25 years or older and off the road for the last 4 years. Make sure to have the dates in hand before you walk in to the DMV so make up a date older than 4 years before you go there and have it ready.

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Look it up on the State's web site and take copies of any sections you need. Who knows what they will try to charge you. They are often wrong. Don't be surprised if they interpret the law wrong either. I've gone to 2 different offices here in LA and had to deal with nincompoops at both. Don't be afraid to ask them to call Sacramento for confirmation and if they are wrong don't expect an apology:mad:

8. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

'72 scout? the small one? does it have a v8?

9. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

err scout 2. Yup has a 345. Thanks for the info guys. There is a 78 for sale as well but no way in hell is it going to smog.:(

10. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

have fun with your scout if you get it! My grandpa is a big international fan. He had an International 4x4 pickup w/ a 392 and a 4 speed that was badass, a '66 scout and a '70 Scout(I think it was called a commanche or an apache or something) they were both the small ones, M 800s maybe?

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Ya getting it is the big thing. Im looking for a a blazer too. 73-75. I got a small budget to work with but im confident ill find something that isnt a huge P.O.S. :D There is a 78 scout for sale cheap and is real clean but friggin smog:mad: I wonder if I take the 6.5 outta my crewcab and put it in the scout I can get around having to smog :confused:

I have been looking at Diesel blazers too and sweet lord the prices for them when you do find em. Perhaps im looking in the wrong place

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Also, unless you can confirm otherwise, have the plates run to see if it's stolen.

13. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

if u are in california, DMV has a fee for every thing. did the guy put it on a non-op? or just not regester it? i think the non-op only has like a $20.00 reinstatment fee.

and CDA 455 i totaly aggre with u on this one "America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal democrats!!!

14. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I do believe it is on a non-op

15. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

If its non op then I dont think you have to pay the back fees. Thats how it was with my motorcycle

16. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Id get it now before its non oped for 5 years, the dmv in cali makes you get an inspection on vehicles that are no oped for 5 years or more. thats what the dmv told me last year.

17. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

No back fees on change of title/owner. A new owner is not responsible for the previous owner's actions. Definately check documents/DMV and make sure it was not listed as stolen by VIN and plates.

18. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This applies to you! right off this web site http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/WebPages/JeepNamePage.html

Help! Calif. DMV wants me to pay back fees on the jeep I just bought!
    "The Jeep I just bought hasn't been registered in Calif. for several years, and DMV wants me to pay 8 years of fees, plus an additional penalty fee."
    All car & jeep collectors should read this information regarding DMV fees
    A little publicized fact is that in California, car collectors are EXEMPT from having to pay back registration fees and non-op fees. To qualify for a waiver, go to your DMV office and you will need to fill out a 'Statement of Facts' form. On it, state that there was a reason for non-reg/late reg., (ex 1. you were unable to locate parts to restore car/keep the car running, but have now located the parts, ex 2. the previous owner was unable to locate parts to keep it running and you have just purchased the vehicle to restore it ), and you are exempt because you are a car collector. The lower level window clerk might say 'no', but ask for a supervisor. I learned about this in the newsletter from the antique jeep club I belong to. I have used it to save fee's on about 9 occasions with my jeeps & trailers.
    This applies to your own jeeps which you are late on, as well as new purchases where the previous owner was delinquent.
    Happy Restoring - Brian