Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a partial used 203 for doubler...what do I need to get.?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Billavista, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Billavista

Billavista Registered Member

Buying a partial used 203 for doubler...what do I need to get?
    As freakin usual, there is NOTHING available locally.

But I need a used Ford 203 for my doubler. Buying one and having it shipped - can I not save a few $$ by having the seller just strip and sell me the range box and shifter?

What parts do I need to tell him to make sure I get? How can I describe to him exactly how to strip off the bits I need?

And while we're on the topic - does the doubler require the ORD dual shifter? Or can it be shifted with stock shifters?
    Thanks

Bill

2. Billavista

Billavista Registered Member

Second question:

This 203 came behind a C4. Do I need the tranny adapter that is with it to bolt it to my Ford T-18?

Thanks

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, you can have it stripped and have them send just the range box. Basically, you will need the Range box, and the long shaft with domed shaped bearing retainer....you won't need that actual shaft (since ORD's kit comes with a shaft), but you'll need everything that comes with it (besides the dome shape piece)...which includes, the bearing, the 2 snap rings, the 15 large roller pins, thrust washer.

You can use any shifter/stock you like. Or make one. ORD's is just convienient to have...
    Boss

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You need the rangebox and gear/shaft assembly, like boss said. Basically the reason to keep the shaft and big alum. bearing retainer intact is it keeps all the parts together. You might want to get the factory shifter setup just to make sure you have the parts but really all you need are the shift arms on the 203 gearbox shift shaft. But sometimes people take the shifter off by removing the nut on the shift shaft and then you lose important parts. We don't have a production shifter for the ford doubler so you're still kind of on your own there anyway. Luckily ford had shift bolt bosses on most of their factory adapters that make it pretty easy to hook up a shifter.
    The 203 should have come with a c6, not a c4, I don't know that they used the big t-case and small trans together. If they did you might have problems with input splines. All the interchange info we have indicated the 203 only came with big trannies, C6, 435. You should be able to bolt right up to your T18 as long as you have the round bolt pattern on your adapter and the 31 spline output shaft. Check it all out carefully, some of the adapters vary a bit in the casting and you may have to do a little clearance grinding for some parts to clear but really nothing major.