Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a rusty 84 sub for 450....something is wrong with it I think

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 3, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

For 450 I was going to say heck with it and just buy it, but there is a LOT more rust then I realized. Where the rear wheels are back is gone and needs to be replaced a long with the rear wheel wells, body mount, quarters. I am just trying to see what I am getting myself into. On start up there was a some smoke out the pipes. Not to sure what to think of that. I have diesel trucks. this would be my first gas truck. I am thinking of putting a diesel in there. When I put in drive it seemed like there was resistance in the driveline. Well, what do you guys think? I still think what the heck go for it! I am just looking for more input. I know there is many more people that know more about them then me. Thanks again! Mike

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, that sounds like a very tempting price...BUT the rust is a big deterrent (for me anyway). I'm now starting to develop rust on the body and underside of my truck - no major rust through yet - but I'm already in the planning stages of buying a rust-free truck from the south and swapping stuff over. Probably won't happen for a year or two, but it will happen. My reasoning is, you'll spend a lot more in rust repair than the difference in cost of a rust-free sub compared to a rusty sub.
    The smoking at startup is the valve seals. Not a big job really. Remove valve covers, back off rocker arm nuts and spin rocker arms off to the side, remove valve springs and then replace the valve seals.
    As far as resistance in the driveline...I'm not really sure what you mean. Can you further describe it? I'd be glad to help but don't know where to start.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Can you track down good parts and do the body work yourself? If not, you're looking at several thousand dollars worth of work at a body shop. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Think about what it's worth after it's fixed. If the answer is "not much", then I'd pass and find one with less rust but perhaps a little more expensive to purchase.

4. 84CUCV

First off, harryh3 Were it not for the brave,
    there would be no home of the free...

I really like that and it is true. Anyway, I can't do the work myself, but the body shop near me would let me work with them that would lower the price. For the resistance all I can say is I put it into drive and it seamed like it took a bit of pedal to get it up and going. Let off the pedal it seamed to slow right down. Like there is binding somewhere. DO you guys know where I can get patch panels for a sub? Thanks Mike

5. HarryH3

It's hard to tell what could be "holding it back". It could be something as simple as a hung up parking brake cable or the tranny could be about to puke.

The truck sounds like a steaming pile that will empty your bank account and still leave you with a 20 year old rusty Sub. Aftermarket rear quarter panels for a Blazer cost $450 each, plus shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Sub quarters probably cost even more, and are way harder to install. On a Blazer you can remove the top and swap the panel. On a Sub the quarter is tied into the roof. Crawl underneath and look closely at the body mounts, the cross-channels that support the floors, the backside of the rocker panels, and the inside of the inner fenders. With as bad as the back of that truck is rusted, it's very likely that the rest of the body is just about as bad. Find out from the body shop what they estimate the total repair bill would be, after their discount.

You could easily be into the truck for $3,000+ in a short amount of time. I would walk away from that "deal"... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 84CUCV

Forget that truck. i got a very good shape 86 M1009 for 600 w/ a good motor. I have a 60 and 14 ready to go So that is the plan now thanks for the help! Mike

7. HarryH3

Sounds like you made the right choice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84CUCV

Yea, I am happy with it. thnaks for the help Mike