Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a Suburban question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by opfor2, Jan 22, 2005.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I’m thinking about upgrading from my 1990, 1500, 4x4 Blazer to a Suburban 4x4. My question to all you suburban gurus is what should I get ? What year is the best and why? Gas v Diesel? 1500, 2500, 3500, or 1 ton? Any help would be helpful.

**EDIT**

I'm looking at a 1994 Sub, K2500 4x4 w/6.5l Turbo diesel for $ 9.995. It has 158.000 miles on it with barn doors.

Thanks

Dan…

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First you are doing the right choice, a sub is much nicer than a K5.
    The best years in my opinion are all years but if you like options, get the later models like yours.
    I prefer diesel but you will hear a lot of 454 gas engine.
    3/4 ton or 2500 is the biggest you can get and if you can that is the only thing I would get (actually have :D )
    IceMan

3. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

You'll love the Suburban stuff. I do.

Get the 3/4 ton. That's a good start. I like the barn doors, as compared to the lift gate rear door. Because it's easier to load / unload, and it's cool. A 'burb thing.

Mine is a 350 TBI. It has enough power to spin the tires in sand, dirt or mud.But a disel would be very cool for the trails. They are low on H.P., but produce 450 ft.lbs. of torque! They will crawl up boulders at just over idle. I've seen it.

The 3/4 ton shuold have a TH400 tranny. That's good. The late models, I think 90-91 have a 241 t-case, which is lower than a 208. That's a plus for those years.

87' was the first year for the TBI fuel injection. Works at all angles, that's what I wanted.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. That's what this site is all about.:waytogo:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

89-91. Solid axles & TBI. 3/4 ton.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

The only way to get just over 400ft lb tq (410 IIRC) out of a 6.2 is to have a turbo on it. And they are not cheap. ;) Somewhere $2-2.5k for the banks turbo. They are great for gas milage though. Personally if someone's on a budget and doesn't have mad amounts of money to spend, even a 350 is a great motor.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the first question must be asked of yourself.

what do you want if for, dd with 4x4 for winter, a trail rig or more or less an all around rig?

my sedements are the same.

go 3/4 ton 4x4 with barn doors, and what ever you want i have an 88 with tbi, and am going back to a carb. but what ever you like.

7. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

What year you buy really depends on your use and how much you want to modify it (depending on your local smog laws). The options are certainly better on the later years ('90 and '91), and the '91 does have the 4L80E (3/4 ton only), which will give you overdrive. I would buy 3/4 over 1/2 ton. If you are buying a 4x4 and want tons of torque without doing a ton to the engine, the diesel is a better bet (see previous post). Unfortunately, 4x4 'burbs didn't come with a 454 until '92 (which sucks). If you don't mind swapping, you could do what I am doing and buy a newer ('87 and up has TBI) 2x4 'burb with a 454 and swap the plant in the 4x4 ... but that's a lot of work. Also, the drivetrain that you want will help dictate the year (again, unless you do what I do and play mix and match with an M1008 :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: ). Assuming you want a 4x4, the best drivetrain runs through '78. You could still get the Dana 44 front through that year. Also, I think the NP205 runs through that year (maybe '77 ... I forget). That would be the best start on drivetrain without a lot of work. Anyway, now that I have totally confused you (and myself) ... GOOD LUCK SHOPPING.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

If you're looking at a '94, it's got IFS. If you want big lift and whatnot, not a good choice. Are you thinking of a SAS? Will this be a family hauler/DD, or are you looking to biuld a trail rig? '92 and up Subs will be ideal for family haulers, '91 and lower (square body style) are ideal for the trail builds 'cause they're already solid front axle.....

You got some thinking to do, and some more information to tell us if ya want our opinions.

9. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

87-91 has tbi and Solid front axels

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would stick with the 89-91 burbs. They have better transmission and transfer case setups than the earlier years. There is no 3500 burb. The 3500 code is a 1 ton.