Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a Super Duty......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 20, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Alright, I know this is a Chevy forum but, I know a lot of you guys have them. I want an F-250 Crew cab short box with a Diesel engine. What should I look for and what is the avg. life expextancy (miles)on a power stoke diesel? I am looking for an 00' to 03'

Thanks,

Jeff

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the later years have more hp & torque. i bought a 03 w/ the 7.3 & 4R100 tranny cause i was scared of the 6liter & new 5 speed auto. really that is just a preference thing now. i wouldn't buy a 03 w/ a 6.0 though, a lot of people had problems w/ the early ones.

if u are gonna tow be sure to get the big mirrors i have them, but my dad has the little ones & they sux. other than that the rest is just what u like better than others.

i will be disappionted if i don't get over 200,000 miles out of the engine.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm going to buy a new one soon. I'm getting an F350 with a 6.0 and a 6 speed.

4. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

at the air weopons range here they have a v10 f350, that thing is a monster

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

If you take care of the truck you could be able to get 300,000 + miles out of that engine.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Very stout trucks ! If I was not a Cummins freak I would have bought a Ford SD because of the killer frames and nice body design of the SD's .My favorite SD would be the 2002 to 2004 7.3P/S with a 60 up front / NVG-271 transfer case and if it's a SRW the Visteon ( or what ever the name is now ) 10.5 rear axle or Dana 80 if it's a dually.

Basically ALL SD's diesel trucks are good but I have not decided on the new 6.0 engines yet. Time will tell that one.
    Good luck , Tom

8. stallion85

That's some great input guys. I have around a 25K limit but have found a lot on the net with the things I want in that range (Crew cab, Diesel, 4x4, Short box). A lot of them had around 70k on the odometer so I figure if i can get 200k out of it I will be fine:) I do plan on towing the K5 with it when I get one. Just have to get my Dad to build me a trailer:grin: I will probably get a lot of crap towing a Chevy with a Ford:p:

9. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

I second the diesel stop recommendation. Go over there and lurk in the 7.3L forums and you will learn a lot. I own a 2000 F250 with some mods. My answer to your question is, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are planning some big power mods, then actually a 2000 model would be ideal. After the 2000 model year, Navistar stopped using, with only rare exceptions, forged rods. Conventional wisdom is that a forged rod PSD can hold 500HP (rear wheels) reliably. If you go with a 2001 through 2003 model, you will have PMR rods, considered reliable to 400HP. Big power will require a transmission upgrade, sooner or later.

If big power mods are not on your menu, then you will be happy with any of the models and if axles are important to you, the 2001 and up models used a Dana 60 up front instead of the dana 50. All models have the visteon-manufactured Sterling 10.5 in the back from the 2000 model up (talking F250's here). The 10.5 is roughly equivalent to a 14FF in strength. Look for a tag on the rear axle that says something like 3L73. The L will tell you it has the limited-slip option. Other good options to look for are rigs with the snowplow package, sporting "X" code springs that are heavier-duty up front and also the camper packages, which gets you 7-lead trailer wiring, overload springs and a rear anti-sway bar.

Your transfer case on the 4x4 varieties will either be the NVG 271 (manual) or the NVG 273 (ESOF--electronic shift on the fly). Internally, the units are equivalent except for the electric shift fork of the 273. With ESOF, you have a knob on the dash to actuate the transfer case and, by vacuum operation, auto-lock the front hubs. Most headaches with the ESOF come with vacuum leaks leading to failure of the auto hub lock (you then have get out and turn them old-school). Most guys who really off-road just cap the lines and swap in some warns or mile markers. The 271 and 273 are stout transfer cases, rated for something like 8,000 (that's not a typo) lb-ft of torque. The 271 is probably most loved, because most guys like us like the simplicity and reliabilty of a handle on the floor.

Sounds like you are going to use it for a tow rig. The auto, 4R100 tranny is not much loved, but its reliability issues, when they happen, are very commonly related to excessive operating temperatures. No matter what year model you go with, get yourself some real guages, including EGT, tranny temp and another of your choice, like boost or oil pressure. If you are looking at dealer used lots, have the salesman run and show you an OASIS report on the truck to make sure any recall or TSB services have been done. For example a few of the early 2000 builds needed an upgraded tranny cooler. Another example, there is a TSB out on putting isolators in the front springs to quiet annoying squeaks.

Known issues include CPS (cam position sensor) failures (an $80 part available from IH that you can change in 10 minutes with one wrench), glow plug relay failures (same deal, easy to swap/fix) and heat-related transmission torque-convertor failures. Other annoyances known for the model are leaks from the turbo pedestal (not affecting function, but giving an annoying oil drip from the back of the engine), and the cost of replacing the front axle unit bearings when they go out. Non-greasable ball joints from the factory are also not loved, but Moog greasable units are available aftermarket.

I would personally avoid models earlier than the "99.5" (october 99 and later builds). They had a more restrictive airbox, a different turbo mount and lower pressure high pressure oil pump.

With proper maintenance, a service life of 300k is reasonable.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any issues with the 6 speed models at all?

Are the issues with the 6.0 sorted out?

I'm trying to get caught up as i haven't read TDS in a long time....but I do want to buy my SD soon.

11. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Since I'm a 7.3 guy, my knowledge of the 6.0's is inferior. I have generally heard that most of the 6.0 issues were cured after the first model year production run.

The 6-speeds are regarded as stout and reliable. Upgraded clutch recommended if you go big on power. If you can find a 6-speed/NVG271 combo and don't mind rowing the gears, you will have a stout chunk of iron that should give you good service for a long time.

12. stallion85

WOW, Thanks xanthias. That's some pretty throrough info. I will definetley use that when I go shoppin':deal: :pimp:

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

'05 f-250, cc, fx4, auto

less than 500 miles when I discovered a problem. 1700 miles on it now and it is sitting at the stealership getting new intake manifold gaskets due to a huge freaking oil leak. The truck was bought 2 weeks ago. Some people have good success with the 6.0's Others have had numerous small problems. They are nice trucks. For 25K I don't forsee you getting a 6.0 version. I would try to find an '02 or '03 with a 7.3L. (7.3's and 6.0's were available in `03).

Lucky for me, the turd is my friends new truck. I bought a Cummin's 600 earlier this year.

14. stallion85

At least it's under warranty though.:)

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

hey VERVEPIPES i like my 350 with the V-10.and i have a manual 5 speed.it's fun leaving people at the light.but it's hard on the tires. HA HA smokie smokie

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

but remember that you have to push the brake petal to shift into and out of 4 LOW :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

leave me alone TJ. LOL i KNEW you would say something.HA HA old chevy's are way easier. poop

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not as many miles as the cummins dodges.. :pimp1: :D
    I would expect at least 300,000 miles. My grandfather has 250,000 miles on his original 1995 powerstroke and 4R100. He has a light foot though. It uses a little oil but not bad and still runs fairly good and has had only a few minor problems over the years since it was new besides a torque converter failure at 75K which was covered under warranty.

The SD is a nice truck and the later ones with a D60 front seem to be the best. If it was me and was set on a ford I would wait it out for a year or two and buy an '05. I think the 6.0 is ok now and the '05's are coiled up front with a 6K rated front 35 spline 60 with larger brakes and a cool new grille. :) My neighbor has a harley edition '04 SD and we put an 80HP chip in it. I wasn't all that impressed with it really and I think the black leather seats look and feel "cheaper" than the black leather in my '01 dodge cummins.

If you by chance are not set on a Ford I will take a shot here...... :D I personally think that dodge makes a slightly better truck than Ford. The cummins is good for one half a million miles and handles tons of fuel and boost better than the PS. Dodge still uses a floor shifted Tcase with the nice CAD system in the older trucks that works well as long as the vaccuum line doesn't get snagged by something. '02's and later have flanges.
    All in all both make a good pickup.

19. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I have never heard anyone say anything good about a Dodge truck. However, if you go to any work site around here you see a row of super duties driven by the people doing the work and a couple of Chevys driven by the general contractors who do nothing but drink coffee.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Scroll up two posts. :)