Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a truck nowadays is a challenge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 25, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

So I find this Craigslist deal, 1978 GMC 4x4 with Fisher 4-way hydraulic snowplow $1500.
    [​IMG]

Just so happens, I have $1500.

I call, and am lucky enough to be the 1st in line of people she will sell it to. But both her day and my day yesterday were hectic, so neither of us had time to either show or look at the truck. She says she will call me tomorrow, despite having her phone ringing off the hook for the truck and plow all day.

So this morning we talk again and some guy called 5 times this morning, finally offering her $1850 cash sight unseen right now if he can get her to bypass calling me back. But she called me back and told me what was going on, and admitted she could use the extra money (cause she is moving to Cali, which is why they were selling the truck, and her husband is already down there).

So, I say, I understand, that cash talks, and I had no money down on it yet. But I made the offer of matching his offer if she will sell it to me. So she said she would call me back around 2pm and I said I'd let her know by then if I would have $1850 cash to get it.

As it is, I have $1838 and some change. That will leave me with 0 money if I buy it. But, though the truck isn't anything special, the plow itself is worth $1500 so it would be like buying the plow and getting the truck for $350.

Geez, since when did buying a used truck become such a hassle and competition?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

$1500 for a Fisher? wow, my Western must be worth a mint!

3. mountainexplorer

Arent 4-way plows going for around $1000-1500 used?

Maybe I'm wrong. I guess I got my 4-way Hiniker for $1000 and it was a $2500 or more setup when new.

I figure if I get it for $1850, and can sell the truck for $1200, $650 wouldn't be bad to have into a second snowplow.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i picked up this complet setup off a 1/2 ton. fisher 8ft hd with belt drive pump. it was for v belt. i had serp belt swaped in. i found a n.o.s. serp install kit on ebay with all parts and hoses and new cables . so far i have 450 plow + 225 install kit + 20 plow markers + hardware to mount it. when all said and done about 750-800 bolted on the truck of mine.

yep thay had a 8ft hd fisher on a 1/2 ton truck. :eek1: now it will be on the correct size truck. k30:D

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a setup like my Western, only a year old typically goes for around $700. IMO Western is a much better plow than a Fisher. Hiniker on the other hand, is about the best you can buy from what i hear.

6. mountainexplorer

Yeah, I like the Hiniker I have. Nice and portable and easy to take and and off, and surprisingly light weight.

This Fisher is going to get swapped onto my '87 Utility Bed K30, which is kind of a permanent plow truck, and I want to keep the Hiniker for my red '78 K20 when I get it together.

Then if we ever get any snow around here, I'll be set up and be able to start plowing snow.

Truck needs a tune up. Drove home ok, but needs plugs and wires. It's a 350 with TH400 and NP203 part-time kit.

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I continuously see westerns and myers going for arround 450-650 off season, season arround 1k

8. mountainexplorer

Must be that plows are cheaper in the Michigan/Illinois area.

Seems that year round in this area they are advertised for $1000-$1800 for an older used 4-way. Once in a while you can find a plow setup for $700-$900 but usually in need of some work or parts, with the exception of a few better deals that pop up on occasion.

I guess the other guy after this got all mad that she sold it to me, and said he'd have paid up to $2000 for the truck and plow. She literally had over 30 different calls on this truck in under 2 days on Craigslist. It even surprised me. $1850 was right at the max I'd have given... if it was any more than that I'd have passed.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

too bad it isnt a K30 with a 454 in it, i would've offered you a quick grand and you get to keep the plow setup. i got the ok from the family to retire the 77 after this winter, so im gonna be in the market for another truck. a BB K30 would fit the bill quite nicely.

10. mountainexplorer

You know a truck won't leave my possession with a 60 still under it or a big block still in it. :wink1: Just won't happen.

I was kinda hoping maybe this truck had a 454 in it cause she didn't really know for sure what motor it was. But it's just a 350. At least it has a TH400 tranny.

My '77 K20 I had earlier in the year I was able to re-sell for $1100 after I pulled the 454 out and stuck a 350 in, but it looked a bit better than this truck. I'll have to do some fixing on this '78 to be able to re-sell it down the line.

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

so whats the plow going on?

12. mountainexplorer

It's going on the '87 1-ton... which means it will go on the '83 K30 frame with the '87 Body eventually. Since it's not a quick disconnect system, thats what I want on the '87 is just a permanent setup that can stay mounted all year long (well, I'd take the blade off but lights and stuff could stay on).

I want to keep the Hiniker plow for my red '78 (they're even both red) cause I want to be able to plow with it but also have it totally removed the rest of the year.

Then I still have the old Meyers two way (up/down only) in Ione. I want to put it on the '73 International after I put a 60 under it... but who knows when I'll get to that.