Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4machine, Mar 1, 2002.

1. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Ok, I saw an '83 Blazer for sale today, $800 Canadian. Now the thing is, the engine is blow. Not a problem, I happen to have a 350 I built last year ~275hp. Now what should I look out for since I can't really take it for a test drive? Body means nothing, I am only concened with drive train. Thanks, your help is appreciated.

p.s. oh yea I forgot, a 17 year old kids owns it, so it probably had the sh@t driven out of it.

Drive It Like Its Stolen

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Look around the steering box for cracks...And for cracks on the t-case. And cracks in the frame esp. around the shocks......Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. 4x4machine

Can I check anything in regards to the axles? Or do I just have to hold my breath and hope they are ok until I put my enigne in and drive it.

Also are there any computers or electronic stuff that would interfere with my engine swap. My engine has nothing by means of computers. Or would it be a straight over swap. (I don't need to worry about emmissions)

Drive It Like Its Stolen

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For that amount of money, who cares what the axles are like when you will probably upgrade to 3/4 or even 1 ton axles someday!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. 4x4machine

What about the engine swap though, what difficulties will I encounter (if any)

Also I want the differentials and transfer case to be in decent condition, I am on a tight budget, so I would like them to work for a little while.

Drive It Like Its Stolen

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As far as the engine goes, there sould be no computer on an 83. The only thing you will have to worry about is if you have emissions testing in your area, you will have to use the emissions crap off the motor that is in the truck. If you don't have to e-test then your motor should work just fine.

As far as a good tcase, and diffs, hope and pray. The things I would check for is alot of slop in the rear driveshafts at the pinion, and drop the covers and look for anything that doesn't look good. I.E. metal shavings, chipped teeth, broken teeth. Beyond that I don't know of much you can do to check the diffs. For the tcase, I would check, and make sure everything shifts ok. I can't help you beyond that. Someone else might have a little more info for you.

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo73>My K5</a>