Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying a used car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, May 5, 2005.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've never bought a used car, so someone please enlighten me. I'm not sure what paperwork needs to be exchanged and what needs to be done?

When I buy it I get the title, any other paperwork?
    What do I need to make it legal to drive? Go to DMV? Obviously insurance.

Is there a time delay until I will be able to drive it? I'm assuming I can just call my insurance and they can tack it on?

PS Anybody wanna buy my k5? :D

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Buy it, you get the title, he signs the title. Hopefully the seller will sign the title with the purchase price blank not filled in. Then you can tell the dmv it was a $500 truck. Not that I'd do that. :whistle: Call your ins company. They can enact insurance effective immediately and fax you a temporary card. Take it to the dmv within 10 days to get it transferred into your name. That's proper proceedure.

Or you could buy a truck in sept of '04 and in may of '05 still not have the damn thing registered in your own name. :whistle:

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Don't get suckered...

In NY, if you buy from a private seller and the vehicle is less than ten years old, he has to fill out an affidavit with the price and buyer/seller info. If it's older than ten years, he just has to hand you a signed title (although I personally write up a "bill of sale" with a space for the purchase price to be filled in later, for us both to sign).
    You fill out part of the title, get the vehicle insured, go to DMV, fill out a stack of forms, and you're registered and on the road that day.

If you buy from a dealer, there are specific conditions that determine whether the dealer registers it for you, or you register it. In my case of buying my truck from a dealer recently, I got screwed backwards and forwards on the deal and will probably never buy a used car from a dealer again.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Call your local DMV - the rules are different in every state.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I bought my Jimmy in CA, it is the owners responsibility to make sure that the vehicle passes emissions testing. I had a bill of sale, title and took it to the DMV and got the tag transferred in my name. Also a good idea to check with the DMV before you buy and make sure there are no fees on the tag and such. Found quite a few that were dirt cheap but had a few thousand in tax and tags due from previous years.

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

In CA there is no need to have a bill of sale, up to you if you want one.

It is the sellers responsibility to make sure it is smogged if it is required.

Check if it has a salvaged title (could affect your decision depending on what your plans are for it).

Seller needs to sign off on the title and you take that to DMV with proof of insurance. As long as the registration is current on it, there shouldn't be any penalties for you to register it.