Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying a used engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I've been (passively) looking for a 350 4 bolt for my 74 and I might have found one.

What can I do to check it? Do I just have to take the guy's word that it ran great in the last truck? Any tell-tale
    signs to look for?

Thanks!!

2. FunBlazer

FunBlazer Registered Member

There are a few things you can look for, look inside the exhaust ports (to see if it was burning oil, lots of carbon or wet spots isn't good), look under the valve covers and see if theres any sludge in there(usualy there is if it goes a while without an oil change or if it runs hot) check the rockers to make sure they don't have excesive play(could mean a worn cam), if you can pull the oil pan off and inspect the bottom end, if he wants to make a sale he will proboly let you do this, and you'll know for sure its a 4-bolt main, check some rod bearings and some mains, check the oil pump for any excessive buildup that could cause the oiling system to not function right.check around the block where the heads bolt on and see if it leaks water there. If the water pump is off check the coolent passage holes to make sure there isn't alot of mineral buildup(from running just water) These are just some things I would look at before I bought it, unless you are gonna tear it all apart and rebuild it.