Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying a vehicle without a title?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Sep 14, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im planning on buying a trail rig sometime soon, but its got no title. the guy says that he can get me one for $100.

this is the first time ive bought a truck completely on my own, so i dont know what im getting myself into, with the title deal and whatnot. any advice?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

GET THE vin number, go to the DMV, apply for lost title, try and find out if there are any Liens still active on the truck, if there is, Find out how hard itll be to get ahold of those people with the lien, and get them to agree to sign off on the title.... in other words, If there are no liens on it then itll be semi simple to get a new title, Otherwise be prepared to become a detective, Or forge signatures...

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Like he said,make sure no leins are on the vehicle.I have seen places in alabama that will sell you a title for 125 bucks,advertised im Hemmings Motor News,I think it has to be 1985 or older though--I dont know for certain how they do this,but it might be they register the vehicle for you in their state,and get a title issued,then you can register it in your state using the alabama title--you'd have to contact them to find out all the details. Unless it was a highly desireable muscle car,or something similar,I probably wouldnt buy anything without a title,unless I was going to part it out--its a big hassle here when it comes to titles on motor vehicles in my state--and EVERY truck needs a title in my state,regardless of the year--. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif