Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying an out of state vehicle and driving it back

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, Jul 9, 2004.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I am VERY interested in a m1008 that is located in Lousiana. Looks to be in very good shape, 67,000 miles and pretty much all original minus flat black paint. Only wants $2500 and the truck is complete, ready to drive home so the seller says. Now to my questions:
    How would the licensing work on driving the truck back? I plan on buying a 1 way ticket down to get it and then driving it back but I wasn't sure how plates and whatnot worked...Has anyone done something similar? Paying to have it shipped would kill the deal.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I did this with my crew cab, flew to Az and drove it back. You should have 10 days from the date of purchase to get your tag and paperwork in order (you will have a fresh bill of sale to prove you just bought it). If you're getting from a dealer they should supply you with a temporary tag.

I went through a border patrol road block just east of El Paso and no one questioned my truck (but I did have a temp tag).

3. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I flew from phoenix to sacramento and drove my blazer back, did not have any trouble, ieven waited after the ten daays becuase went on vacation the day I got back. it probablly varies from state to state you can probablly expect to have the vehicle inspected by MVD when to register it in your name, one word of caution is to make sure that the VIN on the dash matches the one in the door and the one on the registration, I know they checked that on mine. as long as you have the title and its notorized you should be fine

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I bought my '72 in Oregon and drove it back to Seattle (not quite as far as your going - only 5 hr drive). I kept the bill of sale and the signed title with me on the road back to Seattle.

I registered my truck the following business day. Washington no longer does and actual state inspection for out of state vehicles, but they still charge $50 for it (I also had to pay a 1.4% monorail tax and 9.1% sales tax because the vehicle came from out of state.) DOL didn't even look at the truck for any reason.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Check with your DMV, they may require extra paperwork. You have to have the previous owner fill out and sign a form in TX for out of state vehicles.