Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying Detroit and Warn hubs, dealers and a couple ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Apr 4, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok guys, finally I'm gonna get my rear Detroit and Warn Premium hubs. Couple questions though. My 14 bolt has a stock LSD, will the standard Detroit locker work, or do I need something more? And I can just buy the warn premium hubs to replace the stock fulltime hubs right? Bolt right in?

Now as for a dealer. I do not want to go to Four Wheel Parts. I've been in both their Dallas and OKC locations numerous times and they always treat me like a punk kid with too many questions. Frankly, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to go with something from a smaller, more personable company. So are there any suggestions from you guys? How bout small shops in Dallas? Thanks, will be going to Big D on Saturday to look at kayaks and go to the supercross, so I'd like to get this stuff at the same time unless I go mail order.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure about the rear but the WARN premium hubs are a snap. You'll wind up tossing some of the guts from your old hubs but everything is explained real well in the instructions. I think you'll like the premiums much better. Also while you have everything off when doing the hubs make a little tool to clean out your axle tubes so no grime doesn't get forced in them. Hopefully someone else can explain this better. Good luck with your upgrades.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The Detroit Locker for a full floating 14 bolt axle has to have the factory open carrier, which is a 4-spider diff. The factory LSD is a 3-spider diff and will not allow the installation of a Detroit. All you need is an open carrier for a 14 bolt and install your Detroit in it.

ken

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Clean-out tool? Huh? I'll be doing my Warns this weekend if they come in, so what is this clean-out tool your talking about?

And Bryan, you're a punk kid. [​IMG] Just go to carparts.com and use the motor003 coupon code. I got the WARN premiums for $68 including shipping. Not sure if they sell lockers, (just didn't look), but that 33% off is for anything on your first order. Such a bargan!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok thanks guys...now where to find an open carrier????

And steve, You're a punk too now [​IMG]...goin to carparts.com now. 4WPH quoted me $115 for the hubs. Thanks.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. windrider

windrider Registered Member

Randy's Ring and Pinion was helpful for me when I bought my Detroit locker.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Check with these guys for a price:

http://www.nationwideparts.com

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Went to the website and its all fluff no pricing on it. Guess you have to call them

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, call them.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey, only my wife can call me a punk! [​IMG]

I got my WARN's by UPS today! Wow, didn't expect them so soon. I just ordered them over the weekend. Can't wait to put them in! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

11. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Brian, there is a new 4x4 place in Arlington, called what else but Arlington 4 wheel drive supply. I havent been there yet, but they have to be better than 4 wheel parts "hole sellers". Are you gonna come get that box of carbs or what? As much as everybody likes "quadrajets" you could sell em for hundreds of $.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>I humbly apologize for everything I say in advance</font color=blue>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, you will need to replace the factory LSD with an open carrier. You should be able to pick one up at the junkyard as 14 bolts are pretty common.
    The best price I have found for Warn hubs was actually at the local Autozone, believe it or not they actually stock them even though the punk kids working there have no idea what they are. I think they were marked at around $80 for the premiums. Concerning the "clean out tool", you will not need this when just changing the hubs. If you pull the axle shafts out, there is usually crud and dirt inside the axle tubes. What happens if you don't clean it out, when the shaft if reinstalled it will shove the dirt into the inner seal and into the diff housing.
    For rearend parts, I have dealt with Randy's Ring and Pinion service several times and really like them. They have people who know what they are talking about on the phone unlike alot of places, and have comparable prices.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ok one more quick one. And I appreciate all the response thus far. I went to the carparts site and was looking at hubs, but they only have 2 types and they look exactly the same! Are all hubs created equal? Or should there be some info asking me if they're for a D44 or not?

And DangerB, are ya gonna be around at all on Saturday? Cause I'll be in town pretty much all day. Will need pretty good directions though as I'm not too Dallas oriented. I know 75, 35, 635, Mockingbird and Lovers. Other than that, I'm outta my leauge. Later.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress