Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Nov 5, 2002.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Well i have been thinking a bit and the chevy luv will not hack it off roading(i know your thinking, duh). So i have decided to come here and ask for help as to what i should look for in a full sized chev that will be built for nothing but off roading (the luv will be my daily driver). So anny enlightenment you guys can offer is appreiciated, thanks!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's a pretty vague post. You could ask 100 different people that question and get 100 different answers.
    What type of wheeling mainly?
    What kind of look do you like-pickup, sub, blazer?

Here's my suggestion: '87 or later k20 pickup - if you can afford it. 4" lift to keep it low. hacked fenders to fit 36's, maybe 38's if you really hate sheetmetal. Some engine mods, but I say '87 or later for fuel injection. k20, or maybe even a k30 for drivetrain strength.
    So many possibilities, so little money.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Well what im thinking is i will whant a truck that i can go mudding whith my friends in (one of em is on here as mountainexplorer, you can imagine the flak i get for wheelin a luv from him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and i would like a short box pick-up.
    Is that a little better for norowing the field?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds a little better.

O.K. everyone - throw in your suggestions.
    MEPR, start sorting through the wealth of options.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i would go with a p/u and go for 6 inches of lift and a substantial ammount of trimming, some 40's, and a diesle or a built small block like a 383. reasons. p/u for better drive line angles, big lift and big tires, cause rubbing sux, wether it be the ground or the fenders. and a touque monster of a motor that wont mind some revs
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ps i know that the diesel doesnt like to rev

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i just saw that and asked my dad how well diesles like to rev. He laughed and said not well at all (hes a diesle machanic), and then said all i would need to do for a good mud diesle is run more gears. I dont know i think im going to stick whith gas engines.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dude, if your Pops is a diesel mechanic, buy a pickup and have him drop in a huge diesel engine - say a cat 500 or something. (Someone on this board not long ago posted pics of a cat diesel engine swap into a pickup)
    Talk about torque /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

nah if im going to get a diesle ill have my dad get me a Mack. All i here about the 2 Cat powered rigs that he works on is them breaking, the mack have about 50 less lbs of torque but you can run one at 280 degrees ferenhite and it wont do anything to one!(he had on of em blow a radiator on the job and the drove it back, a half hour drive at about 60mph!) but the cats you heat them up to about 210 and your talking ring damage. But i realy think im going to stick whtih a gas engine, my dad can build those too (had a 57 chevy in 85 whith a 327 running 11.70 1/4s!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif