Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying k5??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swampers83, Apr 8, 2000.

1. swampers83

swampers83 Registered Member

I am currently looking to buy a k5 blazer to work on as a project over the summer until its nice and ready to be my daily driver. From my own interest i think i am looking at a mid 80's. What is the best t-case? I hear np205 but its low range is not very low. What about the np208? Also what transmission, an overdrive is a must. Let me know what i should get. THanks!

chevy-like a rock

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you will use your K5 for. To best answer your question maybe you could talk to friends who have a K5 or something similar. What kind of driving (trail,mud,snow,combo,etc) somewhat determines what you want/need. Do you like automatics/manuals? etc. How many miles on your daily travels? Once you get all that lined out, ask again with as many details on how you want to use it, etc. That way we can give point you in the direction you want to go already.
    the Goose
    Don't fry bacon when you're naked.

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

if your looking at 80's models they only came with 208. most automatics had overdrive after 86 i think. i have the 4 speed (sm465)and love it. and i drive in trafic alot. just make sure to check the tail gate are for rust. especially under the carpet