Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying my first K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by workingman, Dec 12, 2002.

1. workingman

workingman Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm on the look-out for a late 70s K5 Blazer in the Baton Rouge, LA area. I'm going to look at one tomorrow that is stock from the picture. I was told the NP205 (NP203?) is out because the rearend doesn't pull. The frontend does pull though and you can drive it around the yard like that. Is this possible? My first guess would be the spider gears in the rear - I've had this happen before on Camaros. But I don't know anything about the NP205 other than it is near indestructable. I don't know if from the internal workings if this is possible or improbable. I guess if the tail shaft were broke just before going out of the transfer case this could do it. I think that is unlikely. Any ideas? I will check to see if the driveshaft is turning.

What was the most abundant setup in these Blazers? 305/TH350/NP203, 350/4sp/NP205, etc? Not looking for exact numbers, but if 90% were the 305 c.i. and NP203 that'll give me something to watch for. I don't mind transplanting - I just don't won't to do it soon. Son, Wife, School, and House is taking a chunk.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. unsane

unsane Guest

transmission is baked?

3. workingman

I was told on the phone that the transmission has approx 1 (one) mile on it around the yard. I suspect that was this fellows first thought because he got it rebuilt. He said it will drive fine with the front-end but won't move with just the rear.

This brings something else to mind. Can the NP205 or 203 be set up to run only the front through custom shifters? Could he have put the shift linkage in wrong?

I'm driving an hour and a half tomorrow to go look at it.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Automatic-it will be a TH350- K5s from 73-79 should have a 203, only the 80 would have a 205(these are generalizations). The 205 can be set up w/ independent shifters, don't know about the 203. I would be learry about the back not working. Might be a blown gov-loc, see if the x-fer case output spins.
    Might want to keep looking.

5. workingman

I have never seen a bigger POS than this K5 was. Absolutly nothing was good on it from the engine to the body. If the man had given it to me I wouldn't have hauled it away.

So I'm still looking for one

6. workingman

I didn't know posting would bring it to the top.

I'm looking for a 75 to 79 K5 w/ V8/4speed/NP205 somewhere whithin 3 states around Louisiana. I'll go a little further for a good one at a good price. Or I'd like an M1009 Diesel in good condition. I just missed an M1009 on E-Bay yesterday by $101. If anyone knows of any please respond.

Doug