Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buying new motor. NA or TURBO diesel?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by pilgrim, Aug 30, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Right now i have a 350 gas , that is what the truck came with.. But i hate it and wish i had a deisel from the start. However my rig is so far along that my only option is to switch it over.. so since mine options are wide open (almost) what version or set-up of the 6.2 do i want?

I was looking at this NA motor, seems nice www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm or should i do , there's or someone elses HO turbo model.. i'am finding there's alot of places doing good rebuilds of 6.2's and think this is the right way to go. (i don't want to mess with a junk yard motor)

So for my burb's 7100 lb weight , mostly road , some toeing , and snow/mud/trails type offroading. would i be better off going 300 hp turbo or 190 hp NA.

i like the less complex NA style but i'm worried that it might be to under powered.. remember i drive a 350 right now in a suburban so maybe 190 hp of diesel will blow my socks off? of course i could always put on a turbo after...

this is big money for my but , so i want to to it right the first time... thanks

2. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

If you do any high altitude towing you will want the turbo over the N/A.
    Also in my opinion I would get a 6.5TD instead of the 6.2 because that burban is heavy.