Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying tranny and engine need info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, May 9, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to buy a new tranny and engine. I pretty much know what I want, but I need to know what all parts I will have to get to make the combo work. right now I have a 86 K5 with a 305/700r4/np208 combo. I want to change the engine to a vortec 350 froma a 96 or later. I know the intake is different, but what other parts might I need to make it work. People on here have told me that 305 and 350 parts are not all interchangeable. Plus what will I need to hook the engine up to the 7004r. Is the bellhouseing, flexplate, or torque converter different. THe 86 had the one piece rear main seal so I know that this is not a problem. I knwo you guys know alot more about this stuff than I, so any informatiion is alot of help. IF ya'll don't know the answer(which I doubt), can you direct me to someone or somewhere that does know. Also I have heard that GM sells new trannys, is there any where I can check these things out on line. One last thing is the harmonic balancer the same on these two engines. Thanks for all the help

2. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

Do you plan on sticking with the carb? I would go with the SFI and 4L60E if I did that swap. But if you go carb, swap the intake manifold with EDL 2116, if you have a few extra dollars get the EDL 7116 manifold. Swap the roller cam with GM's hot cam (218/228 duration .492/.492 lift) and the valve springs with GM's LT4 valve springs. Make sure you have a healthy carb like an EDL 1411 and a good set of headers and single 3” exhaust. This combo will shoot you from 245 to the 370-390 HP range. The only reason I say use the Hot cam is because of price ($170) but if you want better low speed torque which will cost you top end HP then buy a comp or crane roller cam ($240) with less duration (not much less, keep it in the 200 to 220 degrees @ .050 range) but still use the LT4 valve springs.

Every thing bolts up.

Jason

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i really do not think a cam & intake in a 350 will make an extra 130 hp.

i think 300hp will be within reach, with good tuning and headers, but not 390hp

people WAAAAYYY overrate HP ratings, and I still don't know why...