Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying tranny and engine need info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, May 10, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to buy a new tranny and engine. I pretty much know what I want, but I need to know what all parts I will have to get to make the combo work. right now I have a 86 K5 with a 305/700r4/np208 combo. I want to change the engine to a vortec 350 froma a 96 or later. I know the intake is different, but what other parts might I need to make it work. People on here have told me that 305 and 350 parts are not all interchangeable. Plus what will I need to hook the engine up to the 7004r. Is the bellhouseing, flexplate, or torque converter different. THe 86 had the one piece rear main seal so I know that this is not a problem. I knwo you guys know alot more about this stuff than I, so any informatiion is alot of help. IF ya'll don't know the answer(which I doubt), can you direct me to someone or somewhere that does know. Also I have heard that GM sells new trannys, is there any where I can check these things out on line. One last thing is the harmonic balancer the same on these two engines. Thanks for all the help