Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying Used Welders...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone have experience here? I'm going to be getting a Lincoln 255 or 255C shortly. My options are $1800 new through the local dealer, warranties are nice things of course... Or $1200 for one on Ebay thats in Long Island(3 hour drive). Would likely end up closer to $1300 after gas and tolls to get it. Not to mention I HATE driving on Long Island. But thats $500 I could put towards the tubing bender I need to get. Anyone have experience buying or fixing Lincoln welders? They say the welder is in perfect shape, just curious about fixing them in general. We used to have a NICE large Lincoln(I forget the specs anymore), but Dad sold it DIRT cheap because the wire feed was messed up(only had max speed). Wish that never would have happened, it was likely an easy fix.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

welding stores..

Every time I go to get my tanks filled or buy welding rod,the Airgas place I frequent always seems to have a "deal" on a slightly used MIG or ARC welder--some folks lose interest,or are moving,etc,and don't feel like advertising them for sale in classifieds,so they bring it back to the store,and try to get them to "buy it back"..they won't,but are glad to let them leave it there,it gives it good exposure to pro's who are always looking for a "deal"..then the store keeps some of the money for selling it for them..

I saw a used older 220V Lincoln MIG for 250 bucks there,even had a helmet and some rolls of wire with it..looked like it had been scratched up a bit,but supposedly had only 3 or 4 rolls of wire used in it since new!..one other time,they had a complete setup of tanks and torches (the biggest size you can buy outright and own,without leasing them)..older gent that owned them was moving,and he only wanted 300 bucks--everything was like new too,said he only used them sparingly,since his health was failing..might pay to call around and ask in your local area..:crazy:

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Where on LI is it. If it's close to me I could take a peek at it for you.