Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buying??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JeremyK5, Aug 12, 2001.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am thinking about getting a 75 k5 blazer from a friend soon. It has a new 350 motor. However the drivetrain, except for a few u-joints, is original. What should I look out for?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The body. Look at the rocker panels, and more importantly the rocker boxes. These are between the rocker and the frame. If they're rotted your doors will never fit and the truck will leak like crazy. Look at the rear of the floor where the tailgate hinge bolts too, look at the floor, look at the wheeltubs and quarter panels. I'm sure theres other places to looks but these are what I can remember right now.</font color=blue>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also outside of rust look for bad wiring and check the fluids in the engine and trans.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

If you are buying from a friend that has owned it for awhile, check to see if it was used for plowing, heavy towing, etc... That kind of stuff can cause driveline and suspension issues, so it's a good idea to find out what it was used for.

Besides that, check the floors and tailpan. There are a bunch of guys in here that have been replacing these lately, and they seem to be having success, but it'd be nice to be able to focus on lift, tires, axles, etc... without having to fix a crumbling floor first.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rust is the biggie. GM installed the rust at the factory. You want to see how bad it can get look on my site (link in sig).
    Old truck. listen for drive line noise. I know this is hard in ill but if the truck is still full time get it on a hill put it in low (not low lock) and stomp the gas. If you hear a bang and the motor and tranny mounts are good then you got a worn out chain in the transfer case. Go from reverse to to drive without letting the truck roll. Bangs again are usualy a worn chain. light clunk is somewhat normal. It is the bang to worry about. Even so that's not a bad repair. You can replace the chain withoug having to take the whole case out. Looking about $95 for the chain, $20-40 in seals and a long day. Can't go wrong with the crate motor and the TH350 that's probably in the truck is a pretty sturdy tranny. DO look for crackes in the bell housing. 75 was still before the beefed up TH350 cases came along. If the truck is beat on hard they can break bell housings. Check for cracks in the top. 75 had the better top but I have seen them crack. You will probably find some loose filler in the rian gutters...that's pretty normal and you can fill it back with some fiberglass rosin from the parts store.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper