Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BWP 1" lift "leaf" + rear blocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Element, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Curious as to whether this can be done safely or not (this is my first lifted truck, so no real prior experience). My '87 has between 6-8" of lift (previous owner wasn't sure, as he had bought it himself lifted), but the rear end sags about 1-1.5". I know the rear has blocks, not sure on whether it's still got stock leaf packs or re-arched ones. Can the BWP 1" leaf lift block deal be used on the rear, with lift blocks already in place? Since the leaf block actually bolts into the leaf pack, I'd assume it would be ok because I wouldn't be adding any "sliding" parts to the left, but I wasn't sure.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't see why not, like you said it's bolted to the leafs so it's like adding more leaves, not that I like blocks all together, but 6" blocks are common that way and very seldom do I see them flipped.
    I did howver see a really scarry thing on a ford truck that was lifted 12" using 2 stacked 6" blocks. :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :doah:

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

I'd always be worried if I drove that thing.

The leaf packs don't need to come apart to do this, right? Just unbolt the u-bolts, lift the truck by the frame, remove the center leaf pin, slip the new leaf block in on the bottom of the leaf pack, put the new centering pin in, and bolt the u-bolts back down?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You missed one step:
    When you remove the U bolts before you remove the pin you need to hold the spring pack together with a clamp so it doesn't fall apart when you remove the pin.
    Also you will need a new pin, longer one.:D

5. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

I got 6 inch blocks on mine too, there is no problem with this. You can safely add the new leaf. But, read the article on this site about swapping 52 inch springs up front in the technical articles, this write up has all the stuff to know about cleaning old springs and rebuilding them. You might not have planned on that much work, but I would recommend taking the time to re-stack the springs with the instructions written there. Then you'll have them perfect. Always take advantage of the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Imagine in a few months if you decide to clean up your springs, you would be taking them apart for a second time, if you don't do it now when adding the new leaf.