Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bye bye burb...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 12, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was starting a poll to see what you guys thought about getting rid of my suburban for a riceburner. I was on the fence. Then I pulled the piece of paper out of my wallet that had the mileage from the last time I got gas till when I got gas today. 82.2 miles.... 12.6 gallons of fuel.... 6 MPG!! Yeah goodbye suburban. Rotten body, running like crap all of a sudden, horrible mileage. Cards are just stacked against her.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, by saturday afternoon it should be in the junkyard. My 97 pickup just got out of the body shop so I am going to go pick it up and pull the motor out of the suburban.

3. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

if your gonna junk it, share the welth im sure theres stuff people will gladly take off your hands.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hope it works out for ya:waytogo:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

already had some requests. I would "share the wealth" but there is nothing worth sharing.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ah you know there is always some thing.

sorry to see another one die.

the flags of the subculture forum wll be at half mast

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's a bummer. I feel your pain... Sure you can't sell it for a quick $500?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I could I'm sure, but I want the motor, the TBI and the accessories. The motor is a 355 dad and I built with about 6-8k miles on it. Accessories and TBI are for the trail rig. Figure I save $500 by just keeping those 2 things, let alone the motor. Transmission and tcase are for sale, but they've already been offered out so no for sale post yet.

Hopefully the junk yard will give me $100 or so for the Burb, we shall see.

My parents pay for gas and all so I "could" afford to keep it, but I'd rather get something better on gas. Its scary but everywhere I go I am know for my trucks. High school, general public, Wyotech. The burb is named Rumple Foreskin since its huge and tan and my name is Mandic.

I will be driving my Green 97 Vortec 2500. I still have it. It was at the body shop getting fixed up from when it did a 60 mph spin on route 95 :o My dad is on the lookout for a beater vehicle thats not so beat in the mean time.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

208 or 241? what year is the burb?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

241 + 10 bolt = SFA for 91 K1500... :thinking:

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have to roll it to the junkyard.

I'm pretty certain I bent my tie rod over the weekend. Steering wheel has to be held to about 10 o clock to go straight and if you let go.... well don't. Ha

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, i've got a perfect rebuilt 4.10 10 bolt front... just need the righ transfer case. you know if its got an electric speedo or a mechanical?

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mechanical

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

damn... mine is electronic.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

90 bucks a ton here now..

You should get about 200 bucks for it if you haul it to the crusher yourself!--My friend cleaned out his used car lot last week when the town licence board told him he had too many cars and junk--he got 175 bucks for a ford LTD!--Scrap prices might be higher in your area--I hear upstate NY has high scrap prices,even buying batteries for 5 bucks each!--cant give them away here!..I'm hoping my 74 K20 still weighs 2 tons after I strip the motor and other stuff off it,I need 200 for my car insurance--its due friday!.. :yikes:

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I should look around here... I have a small collection of batteries I should get rid of... It would be nice to make a couple bucks off them. :thumb:

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be worth it!

I have about 10 junk batteries myself!(including the one in my 79 C10 I dont trust! :blush: )

My friend that ran a small junkyard was let go jan 1st when the owner decided to close the place--it for sale now :frown1: --there were well over 100 batteries scattered about all over the place--he told me I was nuts to even think about collecting them all and stashing them away until the scrap value went up--he was right--THEN!--now things are changing,with China buying up everything--he could have hauled them to NY and cashed them in if prices here dont improve,its not THAT far to NY from here--lets see,5 bucks times 100 is,...500 bucks! :crazy: --Oh well,the owner let him scrap as much loose iron from the property he could haul away--took in over 1000 bucks in a couple of weeks! :blush:

I remember one of my first jobs in 1979,I had a 56 Chevy pickup 3/4 ton,a guy from a salvage company that tore down old buildings had me haul lead from old boilers in mill buildings to the scrapyard,they cut them up with chainsaws!a peice weighed 1550lbs!--and I got nearly 3 grand for it-also he had me haul "junk" batteries from parts stores there--but a lot of the "defective" ones returned by customers were not defective--their altenator or wiring WAS--so I got many free btteries,and I sold many of them to my friends--back then a regular sized car battery was bringing 5.75 each at the scrapyard--

I'l never forget the day I loaded my truck up to the roof with batteries high as the sideboards,and blew my back tires out 500 ft from the gate at the scrap place!--and I got nearly 3200 bucks for the load!--the wino's cashing in their beer cans there were making me REAL nervous when I walked out of there with that bankroll--wished it was MY money! :blush: My boss bought me two new 8 ply tires out of the money I got...Ahhh,the good old days :crazy:

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

don't spose it had the TH700 in front of the 241 did it? also did it have A/C? if so rear A/C? And what about the rear heat option? is it a 1/2 ton model? I am curious since I am looking at building a family type stock for the most part rig with a 6.2/700/208(or 241). :waytogo:

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Nope no 700R4. I might be more inclined to keep it if it did. Its a 465/241 setup. Its a 3/4 ton burb, no air conditioning. Its one of few work Subs I've ever seen(this new of a model, 89). Only options it came with were, spare tire and 3/4 ton.