Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bypassing Defrost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is there a way to bypass the the vacuum setup for the defrost? When I removed my air conditioning I accidentally cut the vacuum line for the defrost. Is there a way to make the defrost work without using the vaccum setup or a way to bypass that vacuum line?

Harley

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

why not just hook a new line up? if you cant what is preventing you from doing it?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Shove a bunch of rags in the floor vent! :haha:

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I clipped the line that runs into the engine bay I cut it pretty much flush with the firewall so I can't really reconnect anything to it.

Harley

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wire it..

You might be able to stick a plastic hose splicer,or metal tube like a short hunk of 3/16 brake line in the cut off peice in the firewall,and splice a new hose onto it that way..

Or,you could crawl under the dash,find the vacuum diaphram unit that closes the floor/defroster door,pull it to the "defrost" position,and wire it there so its on "defrost" all the time..I'd rather have chilled feet that an icy windsheild!..but you'll get SOME heat to the floor,even when its on "defrost!..

I'd fix it right with a new hose,even if it means drilling a new hole in the firewall--I bet there is a rubber plug nearby you could pop out and shove another hose thru,if you cant use the original hole and hose..only if the vacuum diaphram dewhicky was junk would I wire it up..it was 40 bucks for one of those on my brother in laws 95 GMC,so I wired his up to stay on "defrost" all winter..he was too cheap to buy one!..(P.S.--they are cheap at the junkyards!)... :crazy:

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you can find the lever that controls the defrost vent, hook up a manual choke cable to it.