Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bypassing heater core???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Mar 16, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I pulled all of my HVAC equipment out of the truck today. I have a question, is there anything wrong with plugging up the waterpump and intake manifold where the heater hoses used to be?

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I lost a heater core on the trail in August and just ran the intake hose to the waterpump "spot", effectively bypassing the core - no problems arose from it. AFIAK there should be no ill effects to do that.

I did put a new core in before winter because it gets too friggin cold up here not to :)

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My heater core was leakin so I just bypassed it. You can get a coupler from the parts store made to connect the heater hoses together cause they are diffrent sizes.

4. stallion85

So I can't just plug the holes? I am not going to be reinstalling any of the HVAC stuff.

What I want to do is plug both of those hole to where no fluid will travel from the pump to the top of the intake.

Everything as far as coolant system should still operate properly?

5. ballu_one

ballu_one Registered Member

hey thats ok , do u realy need heat , well if not just drive it its not like u are out of town if it blows right> and if u are just get a aaa card they will tow u home just site back and look at your ride and say thats mine and its fast

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It should be just fine. I don't have any of that stuff hooked up in the buggy and it seems to operate well. We just plugged everything.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes you can plug them, there are some steel plugs sold out there that just screw into the holes, just like the ones installed in some water pumps to plug that hole. They will either have a square top to them so you can grab it with a crescent wrench, or sunk in with a Allen wrench type setup.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

those are npt plugs. pull the hose barbs off the waterpump and manifold and bring them to a hardware store. just match up the threads with the correct plugs. i think its 1/2" and 3/4" npt

9. stallion85

Cool, thanks guys. Just so you all know my rig is no longer street worthy so she gets towed everywhere, no doors or top.

The heater wasn't doing much in the first place....lol.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Or you could run a heater hose between the water pump and intake manifold. you would just be looping the coolant back through the system.