Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bypassing Ignition Switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How do I go about rewiring my truck to bypass the ignition switch? I need to put a switch on the dash. The column if FUBAR. I need to know what wires I need to use on to bypass the incolumn switch and run to a dash mount switch. The wires that give me power to the accessories, distributor, etc.

Harley

2. clutch in oregon

clutch in oregon Registered Member

i had a caddy i did this to. i got a new tumbler for it... but it wouldnt turn car over.so i got a toggle and ran a wire to the bat. then down to the relay. when i started it, i fliped toggle, until motor started, then flip it off.key had to be "ON" or motor wouldnt start. burns toggles eventually.... but just run a fuse... and get a heavy duty push button toggle. if you hid it... no one can ever steal your ride. ( im thinkin of doin the same to my k 5 . last month someone stold the wifes 94 cadillac. prolly the one time in my life the cops worked for me . THEY GOT IT BACK! the next day... couldnt beleve it

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its not really that difficult to wire up a universal type ignition switch that is dash mounted like the older trucks,usually all you have to do is unplug the old ignition switch and make new wires with male spade ends that will plug into the original plug in the harness and attach them at the appropriate terminal on the new switch--I have a wiring diagram that may be helpful if you need to know which wire does what,it has a breakdown of the ignition switch in it.I saw this done at a local boneyard when they wanted to start a GM truck to see if the motor was any good,but had no keys and didnt want to trash the steering colum--beats running new wires everywhere.You can probably figure out which wire does what by the color code,like big pink to the HEI,Big red wire is batt+,purple wire engages solenoid,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Hossbaby50

I already put the steering column back together. I can get to the plug at the bottom of the column though (maybe).

I need to know which wires that run into the plug for the column are the wires I need to run to the universal ignition switch. The rest I will leave hooked to the column so the hazards, turn signals, etc work.

I just need to know which wires that need to be connected together to power the gauges, etc when you turn the key on. I have already bypasses my starter wire to a toggle on the dash for the starter to engage/disengage.

I just need the ignition on features to work. Gauges, fuel pump, etc.

Harley

5. diesel4me

I am going to my shop in a little while,I'll bring the wiring book in and I'll post back later on tonite, and tell you which wires you need to connect--I think they are 2 red wires,but dont quote me on it--best to wait till I find out for sure!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. diesel4me

According to my wiring diagram(which is printed so small it could pass for microfilm!)in the "run"posistion the red bat+ wire on the switch that is hot all the time is connected to the pink wire for the HEI,the brown Accessory wire,the orange wire ,and the other red wire to energize the rest of the dash and other curcuits--the diagram I'm using is for a 1978 truck,but most gm trucks hace pretty much the same color codes for many years--please be careful and dont blame me if you fry any wires!.I'd probe around with the test light and jump the wires very carefully.It probably wont be easy to get at the ignition switch wires on the collum(not much slack in the harness)but I think you can do it ok.I had to use a magnifying glass to read that wiring diagram--guess my eyes aint what they used to be!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've done it in my K5, I can get you a pic if you want. I used two toggles to turn on the ignition and accesories and a pushbutton for the starter. Apprently I need another toggle to run my wipers though, no juice to them

8. Hossbaby50

That would be awesome. That is exactly what I need. I have my starter on a toggle already. I need the pick of the other toggle and to know which wires to run together.

I don't care if the horn works. Wipers would be nice but I am not totally in need of them in Phoenix.

Do your turn signals work?

My setup will be

Key to unlock steering wheel
    Toggle accesories power
    Toggle starter power

Thanks