Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C-5 crash at Dover Delaware!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Apr 3, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giant C-5 military jet crashes in Delaware

No fatalities among 17 aboard, Air Force says

Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 11:35 a.m. EDT (15:35 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An Air Force C-5 cargo jet carrying 17 people crashed and broke into pieces Monday while trying to make an emergency landing near Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Air Force and FAA officials said.
    No one was killed, but several aboard were injured, Air Force Tech. Sgt. Melissa Phillips, a spokeswoman for the base, told The Associated Press.
    Fourteen of the crew were taken to Bayhealth Medical Center-Kent General Hospital, according to hospital communications director Pam Marecki, all with non-life threatening injuries. Most will be released soon, she said, but some will be admitted.
    Pentagon sources told CNN the aircraft "declared an in-flight emergency for a No. 2 engine flameout."
    The C-5 jet, assigned to the 436th Air Wing at Dover AFB, was being operated by an Air National Guard unit, officials told CNN.
    The C-5 Galaxy, the largest aircraft in the U.S. military inventory, came down short of the runway at Dover about 6:30 a.m., the officials said.
    The Federal Aviation Administration said the plane had taken off from Dover and crashed while attempting to return.
    Television images showed the plane had broken into at least three pieces, with the cockpit separated at a right angle from the rest of the fuselage. The broken-off tail assembly was several hundred yards away, AP reported.
    The military has 126 C-5s in its active and reserve inventory, according the Air Force's official Web site.
    According to the Web site, globalsecurity.org, the crash was the fourth in the history of the C-5, which entered service in 1970. Three of the planes have been destroyed in ground fires.
    The most famous of the C-5 crashes occurred in April 1975, when one of the giant jets carrying orphans out of Vietnam went down while trying to make an emergency landing in Saigon after a door lock failed in flight. The crash killed 138 of the 314 aboard, including 127 children, according to globalsecurity.org.
    The C-5 can carry 270,000 pounds of cargo almost 2,500 miles on one load of fuel. The C-5's wingspan is 28 feet wider than a 747 and the military jet is 16 feet longer than the civilian airliner.

Link!

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

wow that's crazy.

btw link doesnt work.

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

worked for me.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Good news that no one was critically injured or killed.

I feel bad for the maintenance group at Dover. The investigations that follow this are not fun at all.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is amazing that no one was hurt badly or killed. I would have sh*t myself to death about the time of impact.

You never realize how big those things are until you see them surrounded by fire trucks.

6. dontoe

Worked Avionics on the big pigs! I hated 'em, at least working on 'em.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll bet you're glad that you were not the last guy to work on that one.

8. dontoe

Yep!!!
    Have to sign for everything ya touch!

9. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

That sucks, but I', glad the aircrew is ok. That crap about the number of crashes is total BS. I saw one, with my own eyes, crash in A-stan, and my grandfather was on one back in the 70's when it crashed, and it wasn't the orphan plane. He's got pictures too. I hate it when the gov't lies, especially aboot stoop $hit like this.

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm suprised that the pilot wasn't able to land it after losing just one engine. It must have been loaded pretty heavily. Cool pics!

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

It's no joke. I had my fair share of B.S. today.

I changed a part related to the FMS system over a week ago (FMS is the Flight Management System, all your navigation and a lot of your communication and insturmentation go through it). Two days ago that jet had a total FMS failure in flight, and as a result of dual-redundancy, was able to limp home off the copilots insturments.

It was entirely unrelated to the part I changed, but I still had to write a formal letter about the work I did and what affect it had on the system, and what we thought caused the failure of the system.

PITA

Can't imagine for something of this magnitude.

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Registered Member

"That crap about the number of crashes is total BS."

Yup, i was in Germany in 1990 when one crashed at Ramstein in support of Desert Shield. Killed all but one on board IIRC, was a plane from a Guard unit in Texas.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my guess is either a) globalsecurity.com is the ones who screwed up... or b) there was just plain old ignorance on the part of the guy who put the #s up. The military has plenty of misinformation campaigns, but there really isn't any need for it in this case...

j

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not a government lie. There's a few flying C-5's that were pieced together from the remains of others. Quite a few others have had MAJOR repairs done to fix damage from bad landings and ground mishaps (one taxied into another in the late 70's, for example). Plus, the two C-5C's in the inventory were both salvaged from mishaps - one had a hung nose gear and skidded for 2 miles at Edwards, the other had a serious fire on the ground.

Are you sure you didn't witness the C-17 crash in the 'Stan? AFAIK, no C-5's have pranged there. Iraq is another story though...