Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C.A.T power engine parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Nov 30, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

anyone heard of this company? they have some killer deals on engine parts, but i have never heard of them.
    good? bad?
    http://www.catpep.com/default1.htm

2. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

They aren't bad. But you need to check sizing on the rods and things like that. And that will add extra costs in the machine shop. I have a set of CAT rods at the machine shop right now. 5 of 8 need to be resized on the big end. From brand new and never installed. But thats still cheaper than a new set of Manley's....
    George

3. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

I bought a 454 crank from them once, no problems with it.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I bought a flex plate from them for my 90 K5.

From what I understand, most of there stuff is made in China...

I only have about 100 trail miles on the flex plate. No problems yet...

5. whiskeydented

whiskeydented Newbie

Thay aren't bad??? Over half of your brand new rods need to be resized. Why not return them and make them send you a good set? Honestly I've not heard anything good about cat products. You get what you pay for. I don't like to skimp on internal engine componets but if you want to save a few bucks the scat and some of the eagle stuff is ok.

6. big83chevy4x4

care to elaborate more on this?

George, what rods do you have? im looking at the 4340 H beam 6.135" for a bbc.

7. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

SCAT and Eagle are both made in China as well. Personally, when I start building my 383 I am going to pony up for a Lunati 4340 crank. It is made in USA of American steel, and it is internally balanced with Mallory metal, so a neutrally balanced flexplate/flywheel and balancer can be used :waytogo: At around 800 bucks it ain't cheap, but like others have said you get what you pay for. I will probably use Lunati rods as well, although the GM PM rods have proven to be reliable and capable of handling plenty of power and RPM, and you can get a set of 8 for $250 :deal:. I absolutely refuse to put Chinese $#!t in my motor.

8. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

This set of rods are for a stroker cadillac I'm building. They are for a 426 hemi, that means 6.900 center to center with a bbc wrist pin.

As for the scat and eagle stuff its not much (if any) better. I also have a set of eagle sir rods for a 383 in too. I got the new eagle crank back yesterday from the crank grinder. They polished all the journals plus the thrust and straightened it. Yeah brand new and bent .0025:mad:

As for AMERICAN made good luck. If the price is under $1000 then the crank is chinese and finished here. An example is the Callies' Dragonslayer line. Its the only way these companies can stay in business. The Louisville Forge in Kentucky was doing a cheaper line of forged blanks but raw material prices stopped that. So most of the cheaper american made cranks are really chinese blanks finished here. I think (not positive) that you only need 15% content to call something american made.
    George

9. Goss

Goss Registered Member

What I buy from C.A.T. are thier "house-brand" rockers.I use the self-aligning variety and mismatched ratios for intake and exhaust.{There are extensive choices}After I mashed the uber-expensive Crane Gold rockers I had, the search for replacements was on and C.A.T. is now my source.Yes they are cheap in comparison but I'll be danged if I can see ANY difference and I thrash 'em just the same.C.A.T. also offers a fluid-filled-damper at a much friendlier price than the Fluidampr series and I wail on those too.NO problems.
    I.M.O. Summit makes the best "house-brand" connecting rods for the money and Eagle-brand anything is crap right outta the box.'Nuff said.

10. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Uh no. SCAT does all it's work in house in California.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Nope, they start with a Chinese casting, and do final machine work here. I got Scat rods 4340 rods & a CAT 4340 crank in my 496. No issues.

Was supposed to have a SCAT cast steel crank, but the place I ordered from said the SCAT's were backordered and sent me the CAT forged one. Asked the machine shop if he had any issues with the crank (at that time I had never heard of CAT), said it worked just fine.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know for a fact that they had a bad batch of flywheels for 454 chevy's. You can ask jays68yak about that.

13. big83chevy4x4

good to know. i was planning on getting my flywheel right from GM anyway.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I ran their steel roller rockers without problem

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I bought a CAT part off of someone on ebay. Looked like a co that sold CAT products. It was a 454 flywheel. It was machined totally wrong and not usable as it was shipped to me. I had to return it and buy another one from another source.