Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C.B. noise suppression, ideas anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have tried 3 different c.b.'s so I know its not the radio. I have the crane HI 6 ignition and it has tons of noise when the engine is running. It goes up when the engine is revved, but a heavy duty radio shack noise suppressor did not change it. Even un hooked the alternator and it still makes the noise.

HELP, any ideas or thoughts as to what this is?

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

do you have it hooked to the fuse block or to the battrey?

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

run both leads to the battery and see if that helps run the leads away from the noise source.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I remember reading that Jacobs Electronics has some kind of noise suppression gizmo. One of the mags did a write-up on it a while back. That may just do it.

Good Luck
    Brian

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Had them run to the fuse block, going to re do them tomorrow and go to the battery, use the noise suppressor, and then put a new ground wire from the engine to the frame to the body. Gonna also run another ground wire from the ignition box to the body. Has new 8.5mm MSD wires. Accel cap and rotor. Crane coil.

Its about the most aggravating thing that I have ever had to do on the K-5. Building the bumpers and rocker panels was less headache.

Thanks for the replys I will keep you posted.

Gonna also check out Jacobs and see what they have.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You didn't run the ant cable with any speaker wires did you? Sometimes that can do it. Kinda like running your rca wires with your power cable. Just can't do it without road noise.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

7. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Go to an Industrial Electronics warehouse like Cam-Bar or macnaughton-mckay in atlanta and get your hands on a (MOV) or 12VDC coil snubber. I use these daily and have several around let me know and Ill drop one in the mail, Im local. these should be very easy to hook into existing wires, I have them on my Rig and no problems, but I dont have the high noise Ignition source.

Hope this helps

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If a noise suppressor on your power lines makes no difference, then it is not a problem of noise conducted on the power lines. It is either a ground loop or noise radiated directly to your antenna. Here are a few simple troubleshooting tests.
    1) turn up the squelch on the radio so that it is "muted". This will tell you whether the noise is "on the air" or force fed into the C.B.
    2) disconnect the antenna connector on the back of the radio.
    a) noise is still there: You have a power supply problem. Buy a better noise filter and be sure to run your negative and positive power lines side by side everywhere they go..
    b) noise is gone: Reconnect the antenna connector and remove the antenna mast from the antenna base
    i) noise is gone: You have one noisy ignition and the only way to fix it is to work on the ignition
    ii) noise remains: You have a ground loop that is picking up the noise. Disconnect the negative wire going to the CB and use the antenna cable for your ground. (If it does not already have a good connection to the chassis at the antenna base, it will not transmit very good anyway). If this fixes the problem, connect your negative wire at the base of the antenna and you will have a single point ground without coupling RF power into your supply current.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700