Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C clip eleminator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 31, 2000.

Has anyone tried a c clip eleminator on there rig?I ran them in my camero in case of axle brakedge so the axle stays in the tub if it breakes.Seams like this might be a good idea,i know a full floater carries the weight of the vehicle on the bearing instead of the axle.But the best thing about one is if you beake an axle you can still limp home in fourwheel drive.
    If any one has some insight please let me know,thank you.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The best c-clip eleminator is a 14-bolt full float axle [​IMG], just kidding, I checked into this a while back, and for cars they are fine, but the problem is side load that an off-road Blazer would have, no one would recomend them for use in a 4x4.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

2. Thanks Steve,the side loads are very high on a 4x4.
    To bad,its sounds like a cheep solution!!I like the clearence I have with the 12 bolt,but I'm going to 36's next time I buy tires.So a 14 bolt is next on my list of goodies!
    Happy Trails

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

You could go to the WARN full flooter kit it replace the axel and uses a spindel at the wheel. SO the wheel is retained by 2 tapered roler bearings use danna 60 type stuff works fine! gives you all most the 14 bolt yet you keep your curent locker and stuff (like your wheels))

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. I thought warn was going out queit makeing them?I would like to use there kit.

5. CK5

Warn is going to discontinue the full float kit for the 10 and 12 bolt rearend. You still should be able to find a few here and there, I would give Steve Watson a call at http://www.offroaddesign.com to see if he has any, he would be the guy to hook you up.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Why are they discontinueing it? I thought it just came out.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

7. CK5

Steve Watson told me that Warn is under new management and the ff kits were not money makers even though they just came out.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Well that truly sucks there a good kit. Steve Watson had talked about making them on his own I hope He does!!! Are they going to stop makeing the fron axels to then !!

Ken

9. CK5

I asked Steve that very question, he said Warn only stopped making the custom length front shafts, as far as he knew they were still making the chrome molly fronts for the Dana44/10bolt. Steve also said he was thinking about buying up Warns inventory of ff kit parts and making his own. (things could have changed by now, best to call Warn directly)

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If he does start to make them, it would be nice if the price went down a little. $700 is a lot of money.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Jus got an e-mail from Steve at ORD on this heres the part about the axel kit.

"Ok, just talked to the warn guys today and the floater kit is safe. Where
    did you see it's discontinued?"

[​IMG]

Ken

12. CK5

Discontinued was the word I got from talking with Steve Watson, but that was before he contacted Warn. BUT, when the Warn ff kit was rumored to be comming out, I called Warn myself and everyone there denied they were ever working on one, so I wouldn't put to much faith in anything Warn says - strange

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Yea when I talked to the it was the samething, ORD said it was the kit for the Van housing that he could not gat any more, nothing but the standered 10 bolt and the12 bolt, Its just like the fusabelhub cluch ring that warn has but you can only get from ORD!!! Even if you give warn the warn part number!!

Ken

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I also do not put much faith in Warn's tech line. They sent me an e-mail a while back saying the 10 and 12 bolt ff kit didn't exist and they had no plans on making it.....but it was on their webpage a week later? They are also very tight-lipped about the fusible clutch rings. I sent another e-mail asking about them and they asked me to call in person about them. The tech guy seemed very hesitant at first until I explained where I had heard about them and the application I was going to use them in. It seems as if they are worried the general public will get ahold of them while not realizing there true purpose, and then complain that Warn hubs are weak.

15. 6.2 blazer,how much do the fusible links cost?

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think the clutch rings are only about $12/piece.....but I think you really need the chromoly front axle shafts for them to be effective and they run about $550.

17. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

With out the warn axel shafts the rings dont do that much its still 50/50 that the u-joint or axel will pop first. The cahange in the ring is minor but it there, the rings are to be used with the premo hubs all so by the way.

Ken

18. I talked to ORD today,they said that if you still want to use a van rear there going to use a differant vedor for the axles for about $100 bucks more,but you can still use a van housing this way.They also said waren had no plans to stop making the kits.
    They also told me with out the axle the fusible hub rings werent much good.The stock necked down axle would be the weakest piont,the hubs are just a little weaker than the joint.But the stock axle is weaker than both.