Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C-clip eliminater kit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tice, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Tice

Tice Registered Member

I wanna get rid of the c-clips in my 12 bolt but can't find a kit and the warn full floater kit is to much. Anyone know where to get one? Thanks. Tice

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Look in Summit or Jegs, they have them. I believe both Currie and Strange make them, along with others I'm sure. They tend to leak, not exactly a great product for anything but a drag car... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have heard the same thing about them leaking and they work good in a drag race car. Any other inputs?????

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I looked into these when I was building up my 12 bolt (my first mistake), and everything that I read and everyone that I talked to said that the c-clip eliminators are NOT designed for off-road use. They are strictly for drag racing. They cannot take sideloads and will break if you inflict it on them.</font color>

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Best, safest, most durable and cost-effective c-clip eliminator =

14BFF!

I know, I know. But, quite honestly, that is the true answer. Ponder it.

6. four_by_nut

four_by_nut Registered Member

OK. Let me start by saying I drive something that looks like a #eep, but has all Chevy innards. I run a 12bolt with the C-clip eliminators and 38" tires. I wheel it pretty hard off road (not high speeds. I only do low speed rock crawling). I haven't had a problem with side loads breaking them. But I also only weigh about 3,500 lbs.

I DO have issues with them leaking. About every 6-8 months I have to replace the inner seal and regrease the bearing. It doesn't come pouring out when it leaks. It just dribbles a little, washes the grease out of the bearing and gets on my brakes. I know they are leaking when my brakes get a little sticky as they warm up.

I went with c-clip eliminators due to cost reasons. I plan to go FF in the next year or 2. I didn't go 14 bolt because of it's MASSIVE size and weight. 12 bolt is holding up fine for my needs.

Just my insight if it helps at all.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only thing I've ever heard about these things is that they leak, and most of the posts here prove it. Bad idea, changing the brake shoes all the time gets to be a chore.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had a link for the Moser engineering C clip eliminator kit for the 12bolt.
    It costs unders $200 and it requires turning down the axle shaft end to size to fit the kit.
    I didn't particularly like that part.
    I wish warn still did their full floater kit, I really wanted to have one.

9. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

yes i also used the 14 boltff c-clip eleminator kit.works great!i'm a satisfied customer.mine even came with new rims. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Join the Club...pavment pounders kick arse!