Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C-clip help here lol

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outlawtorn, Sep 17, 2005.

1. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well i tore into my project d60 tonight to replace both u-joints and i ran into a problem. It seems that all of the c-clips are rusted or something to the axle itself. They wont budge no matter what i try. Any tips or advice will help :D

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Front axle ? I didn't think they had c-clips since the axles are held captive by the spindles .

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm guessing he is talking about the stub shaft clips.

Only suggestion is penetrating oil (PB Blaster or the like) and patience with pics and small screw drivers. Might be able to get a small outside clip plier or something in there to help break it loose.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

He is talking about the clips on the u-joint caps.

Mine were the same way. I used a small punch and a hammer and they came out after i found the right angle to hit them from.

5. BadDog

Argh, of course, he was talking about replacing the u-joints. :doah:

6. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

penetrating oil, a small punch and hammer and a set of needle nose pliers.

7. BadDog

Something else I though about since it finally gets through my head that your talking about the knuckle joints. Can't sleep tonight, so thought I would post this. I hope it makes sense, but it's what I thought I might try when all else fails.

1) Joints are junk anyway. How about some extreeme and fast heat on the cap of the joint. The rapid heat with associated expansion might help break the cap loose from the yoke that will not heat as quick. Pre-heat flame of a cutting torch (to cherry red, not too hot) or just lay a "rosette" type bead right on the cap. Followed by rapid cooling before the yoke can get too hot from convection.

2) Once you think the caps should be broke loose, spray it down with penetrating oil while still hot, but not hot enough to burn the oil. Now support the yoke and smack it on the caps sort of like you would do to seat the clips when installing, but the reverse. Ideally, if you are smacking down on the top cap from above, you would support the same ear of the yoke that the cap is in. That should help break the clips loose from the yoke, and maybe from the cap too.

3) Now go back to trying to drive out the clips.

4) If it still won't cooperate, try a small sharp cold chisel and break the c-clip retaining lip off the inside of the cup, then pop the clip inward away from the yoke.

Obviously a press could be used to help break things loose if you can figure out a good SAFE way to support the yokes, just don't bend the ears. But the impact of a hammer may work better. Might even dry an impact hammer on the caps. The caps are also very had and I've seen them fracture, so an impact might work in that respect too. Again, be careful not to damage the yoke.

I have stuff get stupid hard many times and in many ways. If the obvious approach does not work, and it often won't when dismantling a wrecked/broken/damaged area of a vehicle, it's time to get creative. :D

8. outlawtorn

Alright, thanks guys... Ill throw some pb on there let it sit and try that first, if that doesnt work ill try some extreme force lol :D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

burn em!

I deal with salt rusted u-joint clips a lot here---if a punch and a hammer wont budge them(or you cant get at them)--I use the torch!--the clips turn red real quick,being spring steel,they turn into sparklers when you pull the oxogen lever on the torch--I cut them off quite often,it takes only a few seconds,the rest of the joint doesn't even get hot enough to boil the grease out most of the time. :D .once they are cut in two,they usually come right out with a little persuasion with a screwdriver or punch .. :crazy:

10. outlawtorn

I got them this morning, i sprayed them with pb blaster, used some picks, broke some picks. I finally got them out by hitting the caps until i could see the rust kinda crack around the cap and then tapped the clips out with a small chisel and a BFH