Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C/K Truck tonneau on '83 K5? Thoughts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by botboy, Aug 24, 2004.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

C/K Truck tonneau on \'83 K5? Thoughts?

I am looking at purchasing a tonneau for the blazer, and specifically this one:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...modelId-1001134

I really like the look of it, and want a tonneau cause I hate running with the top on. While the one above is made for chevy pickups, I should think that with some modification (like maybe putting stake pockets or modifying how the thing attaches) I should be able to use this on the blazer. For winter running I was thinking about getting someone who does auto apulstrophy (sp?) to make a matching vinyl cover to go where the back window would go if the blazer was a pickup truck, effectively boxing off the areas that need to be heated to keep me from freezing to death. I figure that the frame on the tonneau linked above is square or round aluminum tube stock so I should be able to just cut it short to fit the length of the blazer bed.

Any thoughts, other than buying the $499 STC soft blazer tonneau? Keep in mind I'm a college student, and accordingly poor.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Re: C/K Truck tonneau on \'83 K5? Thoughts?

The link doesn't seem to work for me but the idea is interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

If you plan on going that route. Let me know I have a Xtang cover that came off my old truck 8ft bed. It is the over the rail style(no buttons)(smooth). The only thing is that I am missing the back support(the one that sits ontop of the tailgate) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

Just thought I give you that instead of paying 500bucks on something.

Later,
    Don

4. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you plan on going that route. Let me know I have a Xtang cover that came off my old truck 8ft bed. It is the over the rail style(no buttons)(smooth). The only thing is that I am missing the back support(the one that sits ontop of the tailgate) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

Just thought I give you that instead of paying 500bucks on something.

Later,
    Don

[/ QUOTE ]

I am almost definitely sure I'll be taking that route. Like I said I hate the top on my '83, can't take it off or put it on myself (without destroying something anyways). As far as the tailgate setup - it probably wouldn't fit on my power tailgate anyways so I'll have to fab something...I can deal. How much would shipping be from wherever you are to 55328 (Delano, MN)? Please email me so we can discuss specifics. botboy60 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Thanks!

5. stump_puller

I'll find out this week! As far as the cover itself I'll let is go for $75.00. If it seems to high just let me know well talk. The cover is almost in perfect conditon. I'll get back with you when I know about shipping.

Don

6. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

What color is it btw?

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about getting one for a longbox and cutting the front of the frame off?
    Would there be enough extra length of vinyl to cover the back of the cab? You could get a junk hardtop and cut off the part that bolts to the cab back and then attach the vinyl to it with snaps or velcro. That would make the whole tonneau K5 top one piece. For a window, you could use a thin piece of Lexan. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Color stump puller?

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I may be doing something similar in the future and have already contacted a boat cover place in my area. They said the could make a cover that would replace my top that would be weather tight and have a rear window in it. Just another avenue for you. No idea on cost though.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How does the tonneau cover seal against the top of the tailgate?

How does it attach to the bedsides? Can you still run side panels in the interior?

11. stump_puller

Oh sorry it is black in color. It is the no drill style. I think I have a box ready. I'll check shipping this week.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status