Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C O N V E R T E D R I C E B O Y !!H E L P!! ****UPDATED****

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by iwannablazer, Jan 30, 2003.

1. iwannablazer

iwannablazer Registered Member

Hey everyone! My name's Paul and 18. I've grown up breathing, eating, and dreaming cars. through my middle and highschool years i've been a fan of the "rice-burners" a.k.a. hondas and other econoboxes. well, im tired of being run over. i live in a suburb of atlanta, ga. and a lot of my car buddies have told me stories of 4wheelin and other mini-excursions they've taken. my best friend has always tried to get me to convert to building rigs like his '76 dually suburban. well the time has come. i've had a character renaissance and have become zealous towards my southern heritage and the perfect accompaniment to that would be a simi-built K5.
    Now, i've been looking in the local autotraders. my eye caught an '85 gmc jimmy 4x4 with a 6" lift, 36" swappers and a new, fresh, black paint job. it also has the 6.2L deisel. now i know a lot about gasoline engines and turbocharging them from my experience with mine and my friends' hondas. however, i'm no expert on deisel, especially this certain 6.2. is it really that lagged w/o the turbo? i know it'll give me pretty good economy and that's important 'cuz i'm moving to tenessee this upcoming fall to go to school up there. its roughly 150+ miles from home. how does it hold up? what kind of things should i look for if i were to buy this certain jimmy?
    any advice, recommendations, or opinions are being sought. i need to learn as much about these vehicles and the pros and cons with the different options. BTW, i have to sell my civic and i'll probably get around $4500 for it. my price range for K5 is up to $5500. that rig i mentioned before is $5500. sound like a deal?
    thanks in advance to everyone for your help! i look forward to getting to know y'all on this board.
    -Paul /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Re: C O N V E R T E D R I C E B O Y !!H E L P!!

Welcome to the site. I dont know much about diesels either, but I would suggest checking out the Diesel Board.

3. sammyt

sammyt Registered Member

well that truck sounds good but pretty much any thing would be better than a rice burner. Check to see if it has been regeared or locked. With 36s your going to want something lower than 3:73s in it. Most importantly make sure that the 4wd works, I got a good deal on a 91 jimmy b/c the transfercase didnt work and it has been a huge pain in the ass. You said it has new paint. Well that sounds like a money wasted but hey to each their own. You are not going to get the gas milage that you got with your civic, THE MILAGE WILL SUCK, but thats the price you pay to play. Also check the frame around the stearing box. Oh and just so you know the cab will leak but there is nothing like a convertible, well half convertible anyway.

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

hey paul, welcome to ck5 . you have come to the right place to find out plenty of info on the k5s and jimmys. i seen the 85 jimmy also in the trader / a buddy of mine went and looked at it and said it was really nice. he talked him down on the price and could get it for 4700. he asked me what i thought about it i told him to see what gears the jimmy had. i know that most 6.2 came with 3;08 gears and if it had them he would be best to think more about it especailly with it having 36 tires and a 700r4 overdrive the 6.2 would have a hard time with this set-up.

5. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

welcome to the other side /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this site has everything u could ever possibly want to know and probably some stuff u didnt. best site ever.

btw, fill out ur profile (what u can at least) before someone important (a REAL member) gets to you. where in metro atl are u? im up here in marietta /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey Pual, congradulations, on your great realization. The first bit of advice i have for you is not to buy that 85 Blazer. Not becuase I think anythings wrong with it, but becuase if I were you, I would reserch the Blazers a lot before you buy one. Read this site thourouly, and learn the pros and cons of each particular year, each particular engin, transmission, transfer case...I say this becuase if you buy that 85 you will be on this wesite a lot and you may as you learn more eventualy wish you bought say, an 87 instead. While they all look realativley alike. There are a lot of things you will learn. For instance, if you are interested in a gas engin (I would be if I were you, GM wasnt really previously known for its great disel engins) then you probably want to get an 87 or newer becuase its fuel ingected. The 86 and olders were carborated.
    Also, the interiors are a little nicer in 86 and newer, the 85s and older had the older style seats... Also, the 700R4 is a decent transmission, but as you will learn, it has its problems, supposedly, the 87s and newer are better than the 86 and older versions... There is a lot to learn. I would recomend you figure out what you are looking for before you buy anything. Also, as pointed out before, your gas mileage is going to suck. I spend between 200 and 300 a month in gas depending on how much I drive. Thats more than some car payments, so be prepared for that. If you cant afford it while in school keep the Honda. I am about to go to school, and am going to have hard time paying for all my gas. Good Luck. And welcome to the board.
    Ike

7. iwannablazer

hey guys! thanks for the quick responses! yeah i'm here in marietta, close to barrett parkway. again, that jimmy i was lookin at sounds ideal, but i have to go through the process of selling my car /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif it's gonna be a pain. also, i work minimum hours cuz of school so its gonna take a little while before i can get somethin...probably around summertime. i know the mileage won't be as good as the civic, but frankly i'm willing to make the trade-off. i want the roaring of the swampers, the rough and crude idle, and having the chance to look down at the people next to me at the stop lights instead of up...

8. iwannablazer

Ike, you're the man...you gave me exactly what i wanted someone to tell me...thanks for the tidbits. i will definitely research it so im glad i have this basis now of the 87 and newer thing...whats insurance like on y'all's blazers? what kind of kickass tire do you recommend for mostly street driving that will have good wear?

9. iwannablazer

i know this is a biased blazer board (sorry for the aliteration) but (there it goes again)....grrr..anyways what about the ford broncos? how exactly do they compare hoestly, besides the ol' "well its a ford" or "you gotta Fix Or Repair Daily." how are those 302 engines? arent they the same as the mustang engines used on the classics? what about the rest of the drive train? anything else?

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome to Ck5 !
    I'v owned both Blazers and Broncos (I'm talking Full Size). Although Broncos are a good rig their drive trains are similar. The ford 9 inch rear end in the eariler modles is a plus but most broncos have dana 44s which are about the same as GM 10 bolts. Of the 2 I perferr Blazers.
    Blazers are easier to modify. Parts are cheaper. They ride better. Blazers have solid front axles(stronger than ford TTB) most broncos (79 and newer) Dont. Also I have always got better get better fuel milage out of my chevys. The 302 is an excelent engine but it cant hold a candle to a GM 350 in a truck. I have never been able to get a ford 351 to get good gas milage either. Even in a car /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    If you are going to drive a lot you might look in to getting an 87 or newer Blazer they came with fuel injection and can get pretty good gas milage. the 87s and up have better trannys than the eariler 700r4s. you should be able to pick up a nice one for around 5 grand.
    As said eariler take your time and shop around. Come here often and ask questions someone is usually happy to answer. Yull be addicted in no time! Muh Ha Ha Ha /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Now repeat after me " I Hate Ricers" Now say it again with feeling. You are now on your way to Recovery /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey, one can have rice AND steak-n-potatoes (Chevy). Next to my '74 Blazer sits a very pretty Nissan 300ZX -- much faster, gets better fuel economy, and costs a friggin arm and leg more to drive. (It's stock, no fartcan muffler tips no no no!)

Anyway, if I don't feel like driving the truck, there's always the Z /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

why on earth would you not feel like driving your truck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Incase he wants to go FAST!

It is a lot of fun to run over things, but a top speed of 75mph isn't exactly amazing. I know I hang on to my old '79 BMW because there's just nothing quite like flying around a hairpin turn at 85!

Then again, that little car also gets me an average of 2 speeding tickets per summer /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

and a note to all those who like to go fast: NEVER GET A TICKET IN NEVADA! Can we say $300 fine for 23 over?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are worried about gas milage you probably don't want to run a wide agressive tire like a Swamper. The F/I motor & O/D trans will help. There is no need for it to idle poorly and that won't help mi either. A lift won't help MPG either. Sounds like you need to find the newest model you can afford w/ stock springs and put on some 31" BFGs. The top should not leak, if it does than put in a new gasket. Look for rust in the rockers, tail pan, and forward cab mounts. Good luck on your search, welcome to the site, and fill out your profile.

15. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

although the bulk here will suggest getting a blazer over a bronco, it is a chevy board...
    but i'll jump in and say some of the newer broncos are pretty nice, friend has one with the 351, its got some power to it, top comes off not nearly as easy as the blazer, but seriously there arent many choices in the fullsize topless market...
    i personally believe the chevys are easier to work on, but others might disagree, i only know chevy which is why its easier....
    good luck and i hope you get the fullsize you're looking for

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to the board. Now don't rule out a older Blazer, I've got a 76 K5. The older ones can be had fairly cheap, and then you can invest the rest of the money from the ricer building your rig the way you want it. Build it as you can afford is the way I'm going. I'd love to start with a 89 to 91, but I just didn't have the fundage to do so. Keep in mind you can build a Blazer and have a cheap little gas milage car. I had a 89 GT Beretta for along time that I picked up for $900.00 2.8 V-6 ran great, looked good, pounding stereo system, good gas milage, comfertable on long roadtrips, and still let me buy my Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (I would be if I were you, GM wasnt really previously known for its great disel engins)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is going to mistake the 6.2 for a Cummins but the 6.2 is a reliable and durable motor that will return double the fuel mileage of a 350.

I'm pretty sure 3.42's were the standard ratio for the 6.2 Blazers...chances are pretty good it's been regeared if it's sitting on 36's though. I'd definitely find out before buying.

If you're gonna be driving a lot and are on a budget I'd seriously consider the diesel. With regular maintenance they live forever too...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I spend between 200 and 300 a month in gas depending on how much I drive. Thats more than some car payments, so be prepared for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoulda bought a diesel... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

18. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Welcome !!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Ricers sit at exhaust pipe height, I love filling their windows with Diesel Exhaust.

Seriously, if you want mileage and dependability, get the 6.2. No carb to tune, no plug wires to contend with, it's a beautiful thing. And the smell is addictive.

20. iwannablazer

you guys are awesome! i love the smell and sound of deisel. me and my friend spent our middle school years perfecting the sound with our mouth. b/c you're not a man until you can vocally imitate a deisel. well thats my opinion anyway.
    yeah so im leaning towards the deisels cuz of the milage on them. where do i look for turbo kits? what are the good ones? as i said before, i know a lot about turbocharging gasoline 4cylinders but never a deisel.
    also, i am totally ignorant when it comes to rear ends....(uhhuh uhhuh) im used to front wheel drives, so i don't know what kind of gears should be used with what tire sizes, ect. ect. ect.
    thanks for the help!
    -Paul