Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C++ programming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a couple questions regarding C++...

I played with it a bit at school for 1 semester in a computers class, but haven't taken it since.
    If I were to find a cheap version to buy or a simular program, would I beable to make programs and such, for example:

When the computer starts up, a window (that I made) pops up, and tells me I'm a sexy beast?
    Or something that converts celcius to farenheit by putting the celcius in, then getting the farenhiet?
    Or when someone clicks on a program (mozilla for example) a window pops up and asks for a password first before it can open? Is this what I can do? Or is my memory fogged?

Thanks

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Just about any programming language can do those tasks (though I wouldn't choose Fortran.....), don't particularly need C++. My first thot is the Visual Basic would be the easiest, unless you're very proficient in C++

For a units conversion utility, search for "Convert.exe" It is the simplest and easiest to use conversion program I've ever used. I tried zipping and attaching it, but it's still a little too big.

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

If you want to pop up windows then you probably should use something like VB or any .NET language. It really boils down to what IDE / compiler do you have available to you. If you just want to write a conversion program, you can do that without a window and just run it in a cmd window. Then C++ would be almost as easy as any other choice.

I might be able to help you out if you need any development environments... Let me know what you want.

Scott

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What would be the best one for what I'm after/? I don't know the retail price on any of them, maybe they'd be cheaper on ebay or something.

I want something I can expand on later, like make bigger progams once I am used to it.

Suggestions? I just asked about C++ because thats all I know/knew how to use.

5. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

If you want to write stuff for windows, get Microsoft Visual Studio. It is expensive, but if you are a student, you can get a really good discount on it. It will allow you to use any .NET managed language (C++, C#, Visual Basic, J#) to write windows programs. It really makes it easy.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know if you can use C++ for your operating programs on the computer like a pop up window when you turn on your computer, or when you open up a program..
    converting celcius to farenheit, yep i could write a c++ program for that kind of stuff.. c++ is good for user inputs to get an output, or creating loops, mathematical problems, random number generaters... etc...
    I had a hell of a time in my class studied my ass off worked hard, tried to collaborate with classmates, but its also a bad idea because its easy to see if you are copying someones program, or working together when theres 1000 different ways to write it! I thought i was borderline for passing my C++ class but i got a B. :rotfl:
    If you need help or questions on c++ you can try me, though i know theres a few guys on here way smarter than myself with this program..

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ryan, so C++ wouldn't be my best option then? Can you suggest another program? Or do you only use C++?