Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C.U. Professor who arguably needs an ass kicking follow up

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Feb 1, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

See the "needs an ass kicking post below and Clicky

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2685148,00.html

:D :D :D

I realize that he still has a teaching job and makes a butt load of cash to do more or less nothing, but at least there is some vindication and this is, for those of you that don't know, the first step that the university must take to get rid of him.

Note that the "present political climate" is what forced him to resign his post. Also note that he is being forced to do the smartass two step (backpeddle), if only a little and that he has attracted the attention of a number of elected officials.

Those of you in Co. or NY should write your elected officials and keep the heat on the bastard.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Man, if I was that ugly and hippy lookin', I would probably be mad at the world too. What a dbag.

You know what, he looks a little like John Kerry with long hair, maybe twins seperated at birth?

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You beat me to it!!! I just got in the office and saw the article.

You're right about the "smart-ass two-step" too, in the Rocky Mountain News he says:

"The truth is, I never wanted the job in the first place and was sort of drafted into it," he said. "I'm not especially reluctant to do this, because it kind of gets in the way of my work."

Yeah, jackass. Now you can concentrate on all those "very credible death threats"

Here's the other story:

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3513399,00.html

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What he has said is offensive to me, but I support his right to say it. I don't agree with what he said at all, but he should have the right to say it. Just as I have a right to not listen.
    Think about it, if you do not have the right to criticize the gumberment then you have no voice at all. If he were to loose his job over this, that is a pretty effective way to silence him. Allow that to happen and the next thing we won't allow could easily be something you like to do or say.

Maybe he just wants the 15 minutes Warhol promised him.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Yea he does have a right to say it, and the Govener also has a right to eliminate all state funds to the school to force his a$$ out of there.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

The problem with what you are saying and the situation at hand is this:

As a private individual he has the right to say whatever he wants when he wants, it is what the 1st Amendment guarantees.

As a STATE EMPLOYEE he does not have this right within his job capacity. He is not only writing this essay on state time and nickel, he is teaching this horse-sh*t to his students and getting paid 90K a year for it. In addition, he is getting paid by other state educational systems (ie: Hamilton College in N.Y.) to travel accross the country and spew his moral equivalency hippie-dogma, and is therefore acting as an ambassador of sorts for C.U. They can (and have apparently) exercise their right to disassociate themselves from this train-wreck of a human being in order to make it clear they do not share his "open minded" views.

just my .02

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I consider what he said an act of treason. He said things that may make a terrorist further believe in what he is doing (killing Americans), and if that causes even one death then this "professor" is partially guilty in my mind. I say deport him to some muslim country since he believes their cause is so justified.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well, by his theory, we can kill civilians in war territory with no qualms

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't really feel like picking this to death, but he's NOT in trouble for speaking out against the government or big business or the American way of life.......

He's in trouble because he referred to average citizens doing their jobs in the WTC as "little Eichmanns" and insinuated that because they work for "corporate America" they were legitimate targets. Free speech or not, he's out of line.

Just because your constitution offers protection of free speech doesn't mean that every idiot with an agenda should speak out about it. The founding Fathers should have put an addendum in place covering stupidity.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

However, I believe back then they still believed in common sense... For some reason the government has found a way to get away from that in the more recent years.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, you're probably right. I believe that people were more honorable back then. Common sense was also probably a lot more common.

Regardless, the general public is just as stupid/ignorant as any government out there. Give them their beer, their football games, and 2 weeks of vacation and they'll pretty much do as they're told. You know what I mean?

12. Resurrection_Joe

I love you so much Can Can, you're sighted down the same barrel as me

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The original W. Churchill would be quite disturbed I think.

His opinions sound bitter, they don't sound logical or truly thought out. They sound like he generally doesn't like people that want to make money.

As far as free speech goes, if he's not punished by a government agency, his right to free speech is not infringed. If the college boots him, it's thier option. He can still stand on a street corner and say whatever he wants, he won't be brought up on any charges. That's just what I think, though, I dunno, maybe a lawyer would see it differently.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

For what its worth, I think that you are dead on from either a logical or a legal standpoint. He can say whatever he wants but the college, state and taxpayers don't have to rent the stage.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not defending what he said, but the whole point of giving college professors Tenor (sp?) is so that they can say things that the current political atmosphere would forbid. Taking that away from him or anyone else you don't like is contrary to what the First Amendment is all about.

Did he abuse his tenor? Maybe. Was he offensive? Definitely. Should his tenor be yanked b/c of this? No. If you ignore him, he'll go away. If you pay attention to what he's saying you give it credence and reinforce his desire to keep saying it.

People should have the right to espouse their stupidity. It's how we seperate those worth listening to from those who aren't worth listening to.

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

He has the right to spout off, just not the right to get paid to do it. And tenure is a rotten invention anyway, it assures that substandard employees cannot be fired. Tenure also has nothing to do with "political atmosphere", it has been around for a long time and is essentially higher education's form of a union. As far as this guy going away, not a friggin chance. This jackass has been spouting this crap for more than 25 years and has published many books, here are just a few:

Fantasies of the Master Race: Literature, Cinema and the Colonization of American Indians; 1992

Struggle for the Land: Indigenous Resistance to Genocide, Ecocide and Expropriation in Contemporary North America; 1993

Indians "R" Us? Colonization and Genocide in Native North America; 1994

Since Predator Came: Notes from the Struggle for American Indian Liberation; 1995

From a Native Son: Selected Essays in Indigenism, 1985-1995; 1996

A Little Matter of Genocide: Holocaust and Denial in the Americas, 1492 through the Present; 1997

Perversions of Justice: Indigenous Peoples and Anglo-American Law; 2003

Acts of Rebellion: A Ward Churchill Reader; 2003

On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Reflections on the Consequences of U.S. Imperial Arrogance and Criminality; 2003

Kill the Indian, Save the Man: The Genocidal Impact of American Indian Residential Schools; 2004

Speaking Truth in the Teeth of Power: Selected Lectures and Speeches by Ward Churchill; 2004. To Destabilize, Discredit and Destroy; (Forthcoming 2006)

I think an express ticket to Cuba is in order for this guy. He obviously hates our system and way of life, but doesn't mind the close to six figure salary our "rotten imperialistic" provides him.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

He titles his work in quite an annoying manner. Bitterness again is all I see from him.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Heh, anytime I hear any subgroup or minority complain about how they've lost thier culture and rights and are poor, I say..... "Suck it the **** up, work a little harder, and have some true pride in your culture as oposed as using it as a tin hammer to beat on a drum of whining." Ooooh, bad metaphor, sorry

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I like it though, can I keep it?

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know, I hate to beat a subject to death but....

From today's Rocky Mountain News:

"The United Keetoowah Band Cherokee says University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill is not a member of their tribe. "He's not in the database at all and is not a member of the Keetoowah," said Georgia Mauldin, the tribal clerk in Tahlequah, Okla. "
    "There's no denying what he writes resonates with a lot of people, but when he says this is something he's experienced as a Native American man, that's fraudulent," Rave said.

Somehow, I'm not a bit surprised. Every day reveals more of how much a chode this guy is.