Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

c02 air tank? PowerTank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have only seen one rig ,FRIZZELFRY, that has a c02 tank for air. I know the $350 PowerTank is cool and light weight with a groovy handel/protector on it but man it's pricy!
    Frizz has a steel tank, heavyier and no bar to protect the gages.
    Who else has a c02 setup? I was thinking about adding onboard air with a york compr. and a tank under the bed somewere.
    But seeing the power and speed c02 has and ALLOT less fabing to do i'm leaning tward c02 as my solution for onboard air.
    I guess i'm looking for c02 advise. Frizz whats the details on your setup? Anyone else have info? I could save some $$ for a couple months and just spend the $$ on a PowerTank but that still seams like alot.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I am also considering this. Every time I go out to my Kegorator for a beer and see my CO2 tank I think about how easy it would be to do. You can get the tank and regulator at any brew supply store and have a Job Shop make you up a handle to protect it if you want. Get the rest of the equiptment at the auto supply store and WALA....instant air. [​IMG] You can even get the nice alum. tanks if you want to spend a little more.

There is probably a little more to it than what I stated, but it can't be much.

Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.morebeer.com/>http://www.morebeer.com/</a> and go to the <font color=red>Tanks, Regulator, &amp; CO2 Accessories</font color=red> page. You can pick up a 20lb alum bottle for $130.00 [​IMG] Free shipping too [​IMG]
    A 5lb bottle would be much less.

See Ya Bro,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey GREAT!!! Now I would have never thought of that!! SWEET i go look now!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I was actually thinking of this recently too. I saw on Harbor freight, they sell CO2 bottles 20lb for $69 or so and 40lb for $139 free ship. How large of a tank is the one from Power tank for $350? I know they sell just the regulators and all that stuff for like $199 or so...maybe less, forgot.
    Boss
    ps, When I was in college, my friends and made a Kegorater , except we were cheap and found a used standup freezer for $30 (this thing was old, but worked), so we had to unplug the freezer every few hours or else our beer would freeze[​IMG]...man, those were the days. We left it over night one time by accident[​IMG]....talk about slushy beer!!

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Geeezz Burt,

SSR's......Radiators......CO2 Tanks.......

I think someone's been drinking too much coffee!!!! Your topics are all over the place MAN!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

".........what's a smog check?........." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-Greg72
    only on my first cup so far, but it's a BIG cup!

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Send a pm to kpanza....he can get you a deal on the powertank since he works for a place called auto accesory.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://84k5.coloradok5.com>84k5.coloradok5.com</a>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My tank is a short C02 tank that you can get at a welding supply place.Its steel so its pretty heavy but when its empty you just take it and exchange it for another.I dont know where you would fill an aluminum one.The regulator is a welding regulator.The line pressure gauge goes up to 200 psi.I made a holder for the tank that is bolted into the bed inside the tail gate.C02 kicks a$$.It will fill a 35" tire from 15 to 30 in about 40 seconds.

DONT SWEAT THE PETTY STUFF,JUST PET THE SWEATY STUFF<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh so refilling a c02 tank is hard to find a shop that will doit?
    I hear ya on the welding supply place, just take the empty and they give you a full one. Just like Oxy/Acc tanks.
    So Frizz to you know what size yours is?
    here is a url www.geocities.com/baja/5099

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Dude even if someone got 50% off the power tank that is still more than my Co2 set up.

Tank rental for 1 year-------$50
    Regulator----------$30
    Hose and fitting--------$25

My tank is 20lbs. You can't beat that deal!!!!!!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yaa now that's afordable!!
    How long does that 20lbs last?
    Ruffly what size is a 20lb bottle, is that a short one?
    I think I need to make a trip to my local welding supply shop!!

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Has anybody tried mounting one of these under the bed, above the axle? Will it fit there without hindering the axle?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Is it a bad thing when my reality check bounces?

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

aaaa I think that would be bad for the regulator! and if the regulator hit something and busted off then shot out of your rig like a rocket and too out your buddys Ford behind you.....hey hmmmmm na that's not nice!! hehehe

13. FRIZZLEFRY

By looking at the power tank site I think my tank is a little bit bigger.As for how as how long it lasts,Ive had this tank for almost a year.If you dont run air tools it lasts a long time.I dont know how much it would cost to put together your own system but I think ya could do it for less than $100.My dad gave me my tank and regulator so all I had to get was a coily hose.

DONT SWEAT THE PETTY STUFF,JUST PET THE SWEATY STUFF<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

14. californiak5

Considering that the tank has to be upright everytime you use it that would not be practical. And like Steve said, it would probably be dangerous as well.

See Ya,
    Keith

15. californiak5

Most welding supply shops will refill the alum. tanks while you wait, or in worst case you might have to pick them back up in a day or two.

See Ya,
    Keith

16. FRIZZLEFRY

In this pic you can see my regulator sticking up above the tail gate .Kinda gives an idea of how tall mine is.community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

17. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

I'm working on this very setup now. A couple of cheap and easy ways to get an aluminum tank is to pick up either an out-of-date scuba tank or a used hospital oxygen tank. You know, the kind you see older people attached to at the mall. Regulators, valves, and lines are cheap. Harbor Freight or something similar would work. The scuba tank is a little big, but you wouldn't have to fill that thing but once a century. I'm going the hospital tank route, only I'm using two of them.

Steve

#########################################

I love it when people pull next to me in a car and point at my tire.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, a few points to ponder about high-pressure (HP) gases:
    **By HP, I mean 1000psi and up**

1. <font color=red>HIGH HEAT AND HP GAS CYLINDERS DO NOT MIX WELL!!!<font color=black> Mounting an HP cylinder under the body will expose it to enough heat to drive it's pressure through the roof. If the safety disc in the regulator doesn't pop and vent the pressure, you risk grenading the cylinder. That WILL blow most of your truck to pieces too small to identify.
    2. If the person filling an HP tank has any clue of what they're doing, they'll look for the "hydro-test" date stamped into the head of the cyl. somewhere. Date-less or expired cylinders should be hydro'd before use with high pressures. Otherwise, read above about grenading cylinders...
    3. If you do make your own CO2 tank setup, you REALLY need to make a sturdy guard for the regulator. If the regulator gets knocked off a 2000-3000psi cylinder, it's now a deadly, uncontrolled rocket. I have personally heard the noise and seen the aftermath of a 4ft-long nitrogen cylinder at 1000psi having it's regulator broken off. Holes in concrete walls, craters in concrete floor, big-a$$ dent in a 1/2"-thick steel I-beam. Not pretty. Luckily, the guy who dropped the cylinder wasn't injured seriously.

I bring all this up because I'd hate hearing about someone getting hurt or killed because they didn't know about the risks. But, all it takes is some commom sense and respect to safely work with HP gases.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What kind of ($30) regulator are you using? They make theirs sound so unique and wonderful. At least the price is ($199). $30 vrs. $199 is too good to be true.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Great safty tips!! I love safty cuz I hate injury!! I too would want some kinda bar/protector for the regulator. Thats the best part of the PowerTank is that if you have the $$ it is a complete setup ready to rock! Don't have to try and fab something safe.
    That 199 pakage comes with everything but a tank and a mounting braket, so it's not just a regulator...