Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C10 Ball Joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 26, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sorry, I know it's a 2wd, but figured someone here might know.

I need to do ball joints on my '86 c10, and the parts books are giving some spurious answers.
    Some list 2 different lower joints, 1 being 'oversized'.
    Some only list 1 lower joint
    The GM book lists 2 different numbers for c10, but doesn't say what the heck the difference is.

Anyone know why the 2 different numbers for the lower joint? Do these things have a bad history of reaming themselves a bigger hole in the lower a-arm or something?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thats weird. I did the uppers on my C10 recently and never had a choice but I didn't need lowers so.....
    LMC catalog only shows one number for 1/2 ton and one for 3/4 ton :confused:
    I don't think they can just sell an oversized one if they were to egg out as you would still need to reame the hole back to a tapper.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe...

Not sure about an 86--but an 88 IFS chevy C1500 we just did ball joints on had 2 listings--and the ones we got the first trip to the parts store were too small of course!--not by much,maybe 1/8"--but enough so they won't work!. :mad:

I always thought all the 73-87 1/2 tons were the same--I did run into a few cases where the lowers that fit a 3/4 ton were in there instead...how GM did that without using the knuckles from a 3/4 ton,and the spindles and bearings and 8 lug rotors I dont know..maybe only some "heavy duty camper" options or something..so far,all the ones I've changed were "normal"sized 1/2 ton ones..maybe pop one out and bring it with you to the store to match up???..bring your micrometer or calipers--chances are the parts clerk wont have any,or know how to use them... :rolleyes: :crazy: