Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C10 lowering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bear76, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I know, I know, I'll most likly burn in hell.

My question is about an 83' c10 I just got. I want to use it for hauling light to med loads. My bike, mulch, trash, couches,...ect. I want to lower it but still haul loads around when needed. I was thinking of an air bag (4 link) system or axel flip with helper bags. I've checked on FSC and some other sites for load ratings with these systems but they seem to be only worried about what the truck will look like and not how it performs. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than not lowering it) for me?

Thanks.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a friend who lowered his 2wd crew cab chevy and he uses it for towing a 20' enclosed race car trailer, it does pretty good, I can't say I like the lowered look but he does and it works pretty good.
    He did a sping under and hasn't put the helper air springs yet but it still works good.
    I could ask him which one he did.
    He had to C notch his frame though to do this, he dropped it 7 inches and he used dropped spindles in the front.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Would towing and a loaded bed be the same? I guess if he had 1500lbs on the tounge it would be. A "C" notch would be fine for me as long as It wouldn't be too much of a weak spot.

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

If you do an axle flip and reuse the original springs, your load rating shouldn't change.

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

But the amount of flex will be limited by the frame.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well with the dually he had, it had overload springs and removed those to be able to do the spring under, and the C notch is almost 1/3 of the frame but it's reinforced with a weld on plate on the side with a half pipe section to go on the bottom.
    It pretty much brings back the integrity of he frame and it comes with the kit.
    I think I can get the info so you can reproduce the same for cheaper. :D
    As for load rating, if you are doing this on a C10 it wouldn't change since there is no over load springs.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I guess I should ask, If the flip gives 5 inches of drop, how much clearance would the c notch give back?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The flip gives about 7 inches, the C notch is just to give clearance for the axle to move about 3.5-4" IIRC.
    I guess the drop would depend on your spring height, but it's the spring height plus the thickness of your axle housing so it's closer to 7 then 5:D

And you don't reall need/want a lot of flex with a lowered truck, so if you feel your going to hit the frame, you will need to put the bump stops, I believe the kit takes care of that too.

9. duallyjams

duallyjams 1/2 ton status

I have air tech on my 2002 cc dwr.It rides,tows,better and hauls more weight then before also when you are hauling you just add air so the truck is always at the correct ride hightand yes its a true air ride 4 link in the rear and shock waves in the front.If you have any question or help just let me know or if you want to see my truck i'm close to you.

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Duallyjams, How much are you hauling with it and how much drop did you go with. I still want to haul a bed of mulch around.

11. duallyjams

10" in the front 13" in the rear and the has been c-notched. I can haul more weight with the air bags then with the leaf springs.

12. duallyjams

DSCN0073.JPG
    SLAMMED
    DSCN0074.JPG
    normal
    DSCN0078.JPG

DSCN0073.JPG

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0078.JPG

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

if you're worried about the weight hauling capicity of the air bag system,,,just something to think about,,,semi-trucks use an air ride/bag system on the rear axles of them.

We're allowed 34,000lbs on that drive axle, along with the trailer axles, which some are also air-ride setup, two axles and 8 bags per set, but still and they can actually handle more than what is legal to run...

Look at the weight rating on the bags you purchase, or even check on some bags FROM the semi-truck setup:D

I am planning lowering my 2wd cc dually, but not slamming it, just a "sport look" lower it a few inches front and rear, and then adding the helper bags for the extra load capacity when hauling or towing.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status