Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

C14FF spindle speedy sleeve... is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, May 19, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, SOL again…

Looks like I need a speedy sleeve for my 14 bolt hub seal. I replaced them about a year or so back due to leaks. Well, recently after very heavy use of the brakes, I noticed the drum and inside of the tire had that "wet look". I was pretty convinced the wheel cylinder had let go due to circumstantial evidence, even though the damp area had more texture than break fluid, I just attributed it to brake dust since I really couldn't smell the distinct aroma of gear oil. Anyway, cylinder is dry as a bone and the very small spindle groove that I thought was a non-issue on a low mileage trail rig now has my full attention. My friend and parts guru does not show any speedy sleeve available in the books he has at home, but is checking at work tomorrow. If such an animal exists, I know he will find it. Confirmation tonight will just help me sleep better...

However, the real reason I ask is that with 100s of thousands of C14FFs out there in service with 200k+ of abuse, somebody has had to deal with this before. If there is no direct application, has anyone found something that just happens to fit? Or maybe a seal from a different application that rides offset 1/8" or so? My friend will likely be able to cross reference on those things too, but I wanted to tap the boundless resources of CK5 for alternatives. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif A part or application would certainly save him the trouble of digging.

If nothing comes in, I'll just shim it out and force it to run on a new surface...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sweet! Now I'll sleep much better... /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is never only one answer when it comes to grease seals anyway. You can always cheat and use another seal, a bigger seal, or make it ride on a different surface. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But, since a 'sleeve is available, going through all that isn't necessary.

5. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I am glad ScoobyDann saw this post and told me about it before i bought a new axle or housing.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sometimes, if you try different seal brands they'll have the lip a little offset. It's actually kind of nice like that. My dad told me about that trick years ago. He also says that on more common vehicles they'll offer a special seal that is offset for a couple bucks more. He says they're more common for the front of 70s and 80s cars.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have tried one speedy sleeve on an axle.
    It was on a Ford with a D70.
    It was a CR sleeve and seal, I was not impressed with that.
    On the Medium and heavy duty rigs Stemco Seals makes seals that have their own wear ring. Sorta like a speedy sleeve only lots thicker.
    I haven't checked to see if they carry them for light duty rigs but they seem to have them for everything else.